For the Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon cold water
Sweet Potato Chorizo Filling:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 oz ground chorizo, cooked and drained of excess fat
- 3 oz shredded monterey jack cheese
To make the pie crust:
- Place the flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Add the cold, cubed butter and pulse a few times to break them up. With the food processor running, add the cold water and pulse until the dough becomes crumbly and starts to stick together. Dump the dough out onto a clean surface and gather into a ball. Shape into a disk and cover in plastic wrap. Chill for a least 2 hours in the fridge.
To make the hand pies:
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or silicone baking sheet.
- Roast the sweet potato on a baking sheet for 40 minutes or until fully cooked. When cool enough to handle, remove the peel and mash into a bowl with the melted butter, cumin, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
- On a generously floured surface, roll the dough out into a large circle about 1/4 inch thick. Use a 5 to 6-inch round cutter to cut dough into rounds. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of sweet potatoes onto one half of the circles. And then add a heaping teaspoon of chorizo and a pinch of shredded jack cheese. Brush edges lightly with the egg wash and fold the dough over the mixture. Gently press to seal. Use the back of a fork to press a decorative edge around the now moon shaped pies.
- Cut vents into the top of each pie.
- Brush tops of hand pies with egg wash and sprinkle with a small pinch of kosher salt and chili powder (optional).
- Bake until crust is slightly golden and filling is just starting to bubble through the vents about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving. Hand pies are best the day they are baked but will keep at room temperature for a few days.
- You can reheat the hand pies in a toaster oven set at 325 degree for 5 minutes.