- 5 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
- 2 Tablespoons sambal oelek
- 2 Tablespoons sriracha
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
For Peanut sauce:
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons tamari
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8–12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup julienned red pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned cucumber (optional – add a little rice wine vinegar, salt, and toasted sesame seeds for a quick pickle)
- fresh cilantro
- sliced scallions
- Combine marinade ingredients and chicken in a large plastic resealable bag, or shallow glass dish. Cover and let marinate several hours, or overnight.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the peanut sauce, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lift chicken out of marinade with tongs and let excess marinade drain off. Place on the baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before cutting into bite-size pieces.
- Warm up tortillas by cooking each side in a hot, dry skillet for 30-60 seconds. Transfer to a plate to keep warm.
- To assemble tacos, place a little of the chicken in the tortilla and top with desired toppings. Drizzle with some of the peanut sauce and serve.