- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 6 oz mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or tamari if you’re gluten free)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 2 1/2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook about 10 minutes until onions are soft and translucent. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook about 5 minutes more.
- Add flour and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes until flour is brown and cooked through.
- Add the turkey stock, soy sauce, and bay leaf. Stir to break up any flour bits. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring soup to a boil. Turn heat back down to medium and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add wild rice and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Lastly, add shredded chicken, half and half, thyme, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes more just to warm chicken through.