A luscious, vegan soup made with winter root vegetables and coconut milk.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, cleaned and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (or more to taste)
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and diced
- 4 small golden yukon potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup sherry or dry white wine
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized stock pan.
- Add onion and celery and cook, over medium-low heat, 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic, curry powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook 30 seconds-1 minute just until fragrant.
- Add diced carrots, parsnips, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. Turn heat up to medium-high. Add sherry or wine and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute or so until sherry evaporates.
- Add vegetable stock and bring soup to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer soup for 25 minutes or until vegetables are very soft and cooked through.
- In batches, puree soup in high powered blender. Alternately, you could use an immersion blender.
- Return soup to pot and over low heat, stir in coconut milk. Season soup with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with lots of warm, crusty bread!