Banana Zucchini Bread
This is the love child of my two favorite quick breads. Banana Zucchini Bread is moist (ugh, that word), full of flavor and a great way to combine over rip bananas and an abundance of zucchini!
Summer if flying by way too fast for my liking. We haven’t had nearly enough lounge by the pool days and don’t get me started on the lack of stay-in-your-pajamas until noon kind of days that seem to have bypassed us this year. Between work, our house remodel, a puppy who seems to need an infinite amount of activity and two boys not far behind, the lazy summer I dreamed of isn’t happening. Forget that my kids still have to eat and there is always a load of laundry to be done.
Don’t get me wrong, we’ve had a pretty awesome summer. We’ve been camping and boating, stayed up late way too most nights and popcorn has graced our dinner table more than once. But I what I really want is a a full day at home with nothing on my calendar. No meetings with contractors, no swim lessons, no trips to the grocery store. Just a full day of Gilmore Girls and my couch. That’s not asking too much is it? Apparently it is because even though I intentionally carved out some time on my calendar this week to do nothing (sounds weird, right?), I still find myself running around. I have this terrible habit of finding something to do even when all I want to do is nothing. I’m truly my own worst enemy when it comes to over scheduling myself. The reality is there is always something that needs to be done. I’m just not all that good at turning my head, you know?
Could someone please come tie me to the couch (no, not in the kinky way) and force me to zone out in front of a good book or some trashy tv. I’d be greatly appreciative if you’d (kindly) tell me to slow the eff down. I need it right now in the worst way. And while you’re at it would you be willing to walk my dog, make dinner for my kids and pick out lighting and hardware for the house? Is it sad that this unlikely scenario is probably the only thing that could get me to take a day off right now? Don’t answer that.
In other news, I broke my self imposed no oven rule last week so I could use up the leftover bananas on my counter and put to use the gorgeous zucchini I picked up at the farmers market. Combing my two favorite quick breads was a really good idea. Just saying. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a kazillion things that need attending to. My sanity not being one of them.Print
This recipe is adapted for my high altitude kitchen which sits just below 7000 feet. If you’d like to make it no high altitude, increase baking powder to 1 teaspoon and sugar to 1 cup.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (2 small)
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Prepared a standard 8×4 loaf pan.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil and butter. Using a hand mixer, blend until light and fluffy. Add eggs, lemon zest and vanilla. Mix just until combined. Blend in mashed banana and grated zucchini and then stir in dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes or until bread is cooked all the way through and top is golden. Remove bread from oven and let cool on baking rack for 10 minutes before removing bread from pan to cool completely.