Butternut Squash and Black Bean Tostadas
A quick and tasty vegetarian dinner idea, these Butternut Squash and Black Bean Tostadas are perfect for Taco Tuesday or any night of the week!
As I was perusing the internets over the weekend (i.e. avoiding the laundry), when I came across a link to something called the Taco Cleanse. Surly this must be a joke, I thought. So of course I clicked on it straight away and you can only imagine my excitement when I realized that this Taco Cleanse thing was an indeed a real thing! Well, sort of. It’s a real cookbook written in jest by a group of self proclaimed “taco scientists” living in Austin, Texas that claim to prevent or reverse taco deficiency and leave you with that taco-y fresh feeling after just 30 days of eating tacos! In addition to all the vegan taco recipes they share, the book also includes recipes for a proper margarita and other taco inspired libations as well.
Finally a cleanse I can get behind.
As much as I wanted to order the book, I held off. I have no less than 100+ cookbooks my current collection and probably half a dozen of those are dedicated to tacos and the like. I really don’t need another. Plus all the recipes in the Taco Cleanse are vegan. And not that the idea of vegan tacos turns me off but… Bacon? Cheese? Sour cream? Taco staples. Or least the option of, you know? But it did get my taco juices flowing so to speak. Tacos, or some variation of, make an appearance on our table at least once a week. I find tacos are the best way to use up leftovers because you can stuff anything in a tortilla and call it dinner! Plus, I always have tortillas on hand- definitely a pantry staple at Casa de Mountain Mama.
I was craving one of my favorite tacos- an old recipe here on Mountain Mama Cooks– but thought I’d update it a bit and turn it into a tostada. While I know tostadas aren’t technically tacos they’re pretty darn close. And while you could omit the cheese and these tostadas would be totally vegan, I’m not sure why you’d want to. Because cheese = love. Duh.
These Butternut Squash and Black Bean Tostadas literally come together in minutes, the salty sweet combo is addicting and, come on, can I get a high five for the beautiful colors?
Happy taco (or tostada) eating, everyone! xo, Kelley
And for more taco inspiration, I’ve got you covered. Click HERE.Print
A super simple vegetarain tostada recipe with butternut squash and black beans.
For the butternut squash:
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled, seeded and diced (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the black beans:
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- small pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 14 oz can black beans, drained
- pinch kosher salt
- squeeze of lime juice
For the tostadas:
- 6 corn or sprouted wheat tortillas
- cojita cheese
- pickled cabbage
- To roast the butternut squash, preheat oven to 375F degrees. Toss diced squash with coconut oil and spices on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast squash for 20-30 minutes until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, make beans by heating up 1 teaspoon coconut oil in a small sauce pan. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add drained black beans and lime juice. Stir, smooshing a few of the beans, until heated through.
- To make the tostadas, heat a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Heat each tortilla for 1-2 minutes per side until warm and crispy. Spread a scoop of black beans on tortilla then place a handful of butternut squash on top of beans. Top each tostada with pickled cabbage, cojita cheese, avocado and a squeeze of lime juice if desired.