Chicken Tomatillo Stew
Chicken Tomatillo Stew is a super easy, ultra satisfying fall stew. Sautéed chicken, zucchini, white beans and a roasted tomatillo salsa base.
Before I had kids I was all TGIF!! TGIF!!! But now….I’m all about Mondays. Don’t get me wrong, I welcome what the weekend brings: no packing lunches, letting the kids stay up late and hopefully sleep in. It’s nice not to be rushing out in the mornings but with all that comes what seems to be activity after activity. I’m still making lunches at home, I have to catch up on umpteen loads of laundry to get ready for the next week and my boys love this game called, “let’s wrestle and be wild loud maniacs” all day long. It’s noisy. And hectic. And you know what? I’m staring a new thing for mamas. It’s called TYLIM: Thank you, Lord, it’s Monday.
Today is my day. I’m usually really good about scheduling nothing on Mondays. I drop the boys at school come home (often still in my pajamas) and do my thing. Sometimes it’s cooking, sometimes it’s cleaning and often times it’s reading my book and catching up on blogging. But it’s all done quietly and on my time. Taking one day a week to recharge my batteries is one of the best things I can do for my family. When I take care of myself, I’m a better mama, wife and friend. So here’s to Monday (raising my mug of coffee at each and everyone of you) and taking a day to do your thing and recharge your batteries.
If you need me, I’ll be the one in my pajamas ignoring your emails.Print
- 1 1/2 lb tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 white onion, peeled and quartered
- 1–2 jalapeño peppers, halved and seeded
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- olive oil
- 1 lb chicken cutlets, thinly diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 14 oz can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- lime for garnish
- queso fresco for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place tomatillos, onion, jalapeño peppers and garlic on the lined pan. Drizzle with olive oil (about 3-4 tablespoons) and sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt. Roast for 35 minutes until soft and brown at the edges.
- Let tomatillo mixture cool to room temperature and then transfer everything on baking sheet (liquid included) to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. (You may need to add a few tablespoons of chicken stock to help the mixture along.)
- In a medium stock pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced chicken cutlets and cook until browned on all sides. Add zucchini, turn heat to medium-high and let brown 2-3 minutes. Add cumin, oregano, garlic powder and kosher salt. Cook 1 minute more.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Turn heat back down to medium-low and cook 20 minutes. Add beans and cilantro and cook another 10 minutes.
- Ladle stew into bowls and garnish with queso fresco and lime wedges.