Classic Slow Cooker Chili
Classic Slow Cooker Chili is simplicity at its best. You’ll only find the basics here and it’s truly a dump and go kind of recipe. Perfect for an easy midweek dinner this time of year!
SLOW COOKER CHILI
I know sound like a broken record but let me say it again- I really love my slow cooker and it’s my favorite kitchen appliance. It gets play year round but during the winter months the slow cooker lives on my counter and it gets used multiple times a week.
Both of my boys love the chili that the school serves for hot lunch. I rarely make beef chili as I have a veggie chili recipe that I love and make a ton. My oldest has been asking that I make a classic chili at home and I finally gave in. Of course I opted for easy so the slow cooker to the rescue!
CLASSIC CHILI INGREDIENTS
This classic chili uses just the basics and I bet that you have just about everything on hand.
-canned kidney beans
-organic ground beef
-sweet yellow onion
–a secret ingredient……a jar of chili sauce
MAKING CLASSIC SLOW COOKER CHILI
Call me crazy but I have a hard time putting raw ground beef into the slow cooker. I have no problem putting other raw meat(s) in to the slow cooker but ground beef…..I just can’t do it. So yeah, I’m going to tell you to brown it with the onion and bell pepper. But I promise that’s the hardest part of this recipe. The prep is literally 10 minutes. Dump all the ingredients in the slow cooker, cook on low, and 4-6 hours later your house will smell amazing and dinner (or lunch!) is ready!
Our favorite chili toppings are green onions, shredded cheddar, a dollop of sour cream, and though it might sound unconventional, I love a squirt of yellow mustard.
IDEAS FOR USING LEFTOVER CHILI
We generally eat the chili with a bag of tortilla chips or corn chips on the side but if you’re feeling like you want to do get all fancy, use the chili to top baked potatoes, oven fries for easy chili cheese fries, and it’s also delicious folded into an omelet. The chili also freezes beautifully. Simply let it cool to room temperature and then freeze in an airtight container- baggies take the least amount of room but a glass mason jar works well too.
OTHER EASY SLOW COOKER RECIPES
Hope you have a great week and thanks for reading! What are YOUR favorite chili toppings? xo, Kelley
A classic beef chili made in the slow cooker. The chili has the perfect bean to beef ratio!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1– 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1– 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1– 12 oz jar chili sauce (Heinz is my favorite)
- 1/2 low sodium cup beef broth
- 2– 14 oz cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the ground beef to the pot. Break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally. Drain off any excess fat and transfer beef mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander and a pinch of kosher salt to beef mixture. Stir to evenly coat the meat.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili sauce, beef broth, and kidney beans. Stir and cover with lid.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve chili topped with your favorite toppings. Mine are: sour cream, diced red onion, and a squirt of yellow mustard. 🙂