Taco Tuesday: Crispy Bean & Cheese Tacos
Ever wonder where the freshman 20 come from? In my case they came from the twice weekly (if not more) runs to get bean and cheese burritos at 1 am in the morning after a night of drinking. I’m lucky it wasn’t the freshman 40.
All said and done, it took me three universities and seven years to get my diploma. And, no, I don’t have a masters degree nor am I any kind of doctor. It just took me seven years to plow through. Some people (most people) get ‘er done in four years but that’s not how I roll. I just couldn’t do it. I worked full time and between that and school, I needed a little fun in my life to balance things. So I took my time, taking a semester off here and there to travel and be a slacker.
My second year of school, I moved into a ridiculously sweet house with four other girls. Two became my BFF’s for life. They were my partners in crime and one particularly was my late night burrito eating buddy. We used to go out every night, never letting the fact that we had school the next morning stop us. We’d usually be so hammered (sorry mom), we thought the only way to sober up and be ready for school the next morning would be do do the late night drive by and stuff our faces with Mexican food. My order was always either carne asada tacos or a giant bean and cheese burrito. Like I said, I’m lucky it wasn’t the freshman 40.
I still love Mexican food but now a days I follow those lame grown up rules like moderation and I try not to eat heavy past six or seven in the evening. I can’t tell you the last time I was up past 10 pm let alone hitting up the drive through after a night of drinking. I was reminiscing just the other day about my college days and joking about midnight taco scarfing sessions so today, taco tuesday is dedicated to to just that. Only a little more refined and without the bottle of Jagermeister.
We had friends over last night and mowed these tacos along with some locally caught, bacon wrapped grilled elk steaks. It was Monday Night Football and there wasn’t a vegetable in sight. We drank beer, watched football and told stories of our respective home owners associations. Boy how times have changed.
So whether you need a something late night to absorb the booze or you’re just looking for a quick, tasty dinner tonight, crispy bean and cheese burritos are the right call. You can eat them as is but I can’t help but pile on the pickled jalapeños. To me they are the perfect brine-y bite to the rich cheese and creamy beans. Hope everyone is having a great, great day!! xoPrint
A quick vegetarian taco inspired by the classic bean and cheese burrito.
- 1– 14oz can refried beans
- 3 tablespoons green salsa
- pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 8–9 small flour tortillas
- 1 heaping cup shredded cheddar cheese
- pickled jalapeños (optional)
- 2–3 tablespoons butter
- In a small sauce pan, heat refried beans with green salsa, salt and lime juice. Stir a few times and heat all the way through.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large cast iron skillet. Spread an 1/8 of the refried beans into a tortilla and sprinkle generously with cheddar cheese. Fold in half and repeat with two other tortillas.
- Fry tacos two-three at time in the skillet on medium-high heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until the tortillas are lightly brown and crispy and cheese is melted.
- If desired, top with pickled jalapeños.