Salmon Tostadas with Cucumber Dill Slaw
Happy Monday! I’ve got a Taco Tuesday recipe for you today (a day early…) and it’s actually a tostada and not a taco recipe so humor me. I hope you’ll forgive me as the these Salmon Tostadas with Cucumber Dill Slaw are a cinch to prepare and are absolutely delicious!!!
Can you believe tomorrow is the first of May? I know it’s so cliche but where did the beginning of this year go? This winter and start of spring just flew by. The kids are on the countdown to summer and so am I. I’m soooooo over packing school lunches and fighting the kids to go to bed when it’s still light out. I won’t be sorry to see May end. Any other mamas feel me?
I feel like this time of year we have sports almost every night of the week and the end of year school activities and performances fill our calendar. Our evenings are pretty jam packed for the next month or so. No real complaints over here as spending the afternoons and evenings outdoors running around before it gets too hot is one of my favorite things but none the less, I like to have a little more downtime and these busy nights can burn me out.
I feel like dinner time gets crazy when our calendar is this full. If I don’t meal plan ahead of time we eat out too much or end up snacking so heavily that we don’t have room for a proper dinner. I know that dinner time isn’t a big deal for many (and that’s totally fine!) but it’s a cornerstone for my family. Sitting down for an evening meal is when we talk about our day, check in with one and another, and connect about the next days happenings.
I don’t go crazy with the prep but I do plan easy dinners and grocery shop on the weekend so I have what I need to pull off a quick meal mid week. I make a lot of slow cooker meals and any kind of dinner that I can prep in the afternoon before I pick the boys up from school also makes the cut. Can you guess what dinner hits our menu just about every single week? Tacos. Or Tostadas. Or some mishmash of the two. It’s such a great meal to prep ahead and my whole family is happy when it’s taco night!
These Salmon Tostadas are ridiculously easy to prep ahead. The Cucumber Dill Slaw is best made a few hours ahead. I prep the salmon for the oven in the afternoon and once the oven is preheated, the salmon cooks in 15 minutes. I make a simple guacamole while the salmon roasts and boom, dinner is done. Instead of traditional lime and cilantro, these tostadas feature lemon and fresh dill. Perfect for spring and a delicious twist. The salmon also makes for great leftovers the next day too!
I hope you’re all having a great week and as always, thanks for reading! What’s your favorite dinner to prep ahead? xoxo, KelleyPrint
A tostada recipe with baked salmon and a slaw made of cabbage and cucumbers.
For the slaw:
- 3 cups shredded white cabbage
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the salmon:
- 1.5 lb salmon filet
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the guacamole:
- 2 avocados
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- healthy pinch kosher salt
For the sour cream:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch salt
For the tostadas:
- 8 corn tostadas
- fresh dill and lemon wedges for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees.
- While oven preheats, make slaw. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and let sit while salmon cooks.
- Drizzle salmon with olive oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle evenly with all the spices. Cook in a preheated oven for 12-15 minutes just until salmon is done.
- Combine avocado, lemon juice and salt in a small bowl; mash to combine.
- Combine sour cream, lemon juice and a pinch of salt; stir to combine.
- To serve tostadas- spread a 1/8 of the avocado mixture on each tostada. Flake the salmon and layer on top of the guacamole. Top with a handful of the cabbage slaw. Drizzle with a bit of the sour cream mixture. Add pinch of fresh dill and serve with additional lemon if desired. Serve immediately.