Sweet and Salty Chex Mix Recipe
Hello, my name is Kelley and I’m a chex mix-aholic.
It’s been a favorite of mine for as long as I can remember. I love the Original Chex Mix you can buy at every gas station across the country and I know that because I’ve picked it up on just about every road trip I’ve ever been on.
The first time I ever remember eating a homemade version was not that long ago actually. 10 years ago maybe? I was cooking for one of my clients and they had a huge tin of homemade chex mix. Apparently it was tradition and I think that the brother-in-laws mom makes it every year for the holidays and sends it out. (FYI- it must have cost a ton to ship cuz the tin was ginormous.)
Anyhow, I remember the chex mix being good but no where near as flavorful as what I’d had from the gas station. Funny what lack of sodium and MSG will do for a cereal snack. I think the original recipe is pretty good but I always find that I have to double or at least one and a half the seasonings. Just not enough flavor punch for me.
Because I’m a devotee of the salty-sweet combo I decided to give it a whirl on this old time favorite. This version is mostly savory with just a hint of sweet. It’s packed full of roasted nuts, butter pretzels, the requisite chex cereal and my personal favorite, Bugles.
Well, I can’t stop eating it. I made it for a cookie exchange that I hosted last week. It was such a nice balance to all the sweet treats and it’s the perfect nibble when you’ve got a cold beer or a glass of champagne in your hand.
It was so good I decided to make another batch to give out to friends and neighbors in addition to the platter of cookies I always hand out.
Maybe you’ll be lucky enough to get a little of these…….don’t worry, if you don’t, I still love you.Print
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 3 cups rice chex cereal
- 3 cups honey corn chex cereal
- 3 cups Bugles
- 1 1/2 cups butter pretzels
- 1 cup roasted, salted mixed nuts
- Preheat the oven to 275F degrees.
- Place butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and soy sauce in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until the butter melts and sugar dissolves. Stir in seasoned salt.
- Pour the rice chex, honey corn chex, Bugles, pretzels and nuts into a large baking pan. Drizzle the syrup a little at a time over the cereal and mix well. Continue adding syrup until all of it has been added and the chex mix is evenly coated.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring the chex mix every 15 minutes, rotating pan half way through. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Chex mix should keep for about 1 week.