BLT Breakfast Tacos
A breakfast taco with scrambled eggs, bacon, lettuce, tomato and a spicy sriracha aioli.
My three year old is a creature of habit in every sense of the word. He’s an early riser, often the first one up. I used to get up before him as I love the solitude of the early morning but lately, even he’s beating me to the wake up. I don’t mind really, as we’ve established a little routine. The first thing he requests in the morning is sippy cup full of diluted orange juice. My husband and I often joke it’s his morning cup of joe. The little mans day DOES NOT start until he’s had his juice. He always requests a showing of bubble guppies and is happier than a clam to take his juice, climb under the blanket and watch a tv show while I have my morning cup of joe and catch up on a little work on the computer. I’ve always been a morning person so having my baby join me just makes the morning that much sweeter.
Like all phases of childhood, I know this will change. Probably sooner than I’d like. At some point he won’t drink out of a sippy cup anymore. Bubble Guppies will turn to Sponge Bob and my guess is he’ll get a little more demanding it terms of his needs. So for now, I roll with it. While my older boy and husband sleep in, the little man and I rule the early mornings happily.
Almost every day, he asks for “salty eggs” and cinnamon toast for breakfast. If my husband makes the eggs and heaven forbid they’re under seasoned, my son will let him know. Hence why he calls them salty eggs. Not because he wants them extra salty but because he wants them seasoned just right. I tell you this kid is a boy after my own heart. The idea of breakfast tacos came from the little man I suppose. I love scrambled eggs just as much as the next person but get a little bored eating them day after day. I had some leftover corn tortillas from the pot roast tacos I made last week so one morning I stuffed the eggs, some sharp cheddar cheese and a healthy spoonful of salsa inside. Nothing spectacular but delicious none the less and my mind started started turning with all the possibilities. (And just in case you’re curious, there a lot of possibilities. Breakfast taco tuesday, anyone?)
I’m a firm believer that bacon makes everything better and I love a good BLT so why not combine the two in a breakfast taco? Yeah, I know. Game changer. I topped it with a spicy sriracha aioli but do what you like here. Mustard, salsa, ketchup, naked… raid the condiment shelf in your fridge and top away. You can’t go wrong. Let’s be real here, it’s all about the bacon. And salty eggs.Print
For two tacos:
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- fresh lettuce
- salt and pepper
- 2 taco size flour tortillas
Spicy Sriracha Aioli
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2–3 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Make the spicy aioli by combining the mayonnaise, sriracha sauce, lime juice and garlic powder until well mixed; set aside.
- In a medium saute pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until done and crispy; remove from pan and set on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Drain off all but a few teaspoons of the oil. Add the minced red onion and cook on low until soft and starting to brown. In a small bowl, crack and whip the eggs until light and fluffy. Add eggs to pan and scramble until desired doneness. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble tacos, smear a bit of the spicy aioli on each tortilla. Divide the scrambled eggs evenly between the two tortillas. Top with two slices of bacon, diced cherry tomatoes and fresh lettuce. Sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt to finish.