Taco Tuesday: Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Blue Cheese Slaw
It’s Taco Tuesday and this week I’m sharing a slow cooker recipe for buffalo chicken tacos. Shredded chicken is kicked up a notch with bottled wing sauce and topped with a cold and creamy blue cheese coleslaw.
Last month I asked on my Facebook page what kind of recipes you wanted to see here on Mountain Mama Cooks and I got a handful of requests that called for slow cooker recipes. Initially I was surprised as I usually think of the slow cooker for making hearty roasts and stews- perfect for the colder months. But after thinking of it more and more I decided you all are genius. It’s such a great alternative to the oven, making it a perfect choice for making dinner during the heat of summer. I’ve definitely used my slow cooker during the summer but truth be told, there wasn’t much thought behind it. I don’t think I’ve ever deliberately pulled out the slow cooker to avoid the heat. BUT, the past few weeks, I’ve used my trusty old slow cooker 4 times- I think I’m a summer slow cooker convert!
These tacos couldn’t be any easier. Like dump and run easy. Like once the chicken is cooked, dinner is on the table in 10 minutes easy. Like you almost don’t need a recipe easy. Silly easy. I start with my basic slow cooker shredded chicken and for the last 15 minutes of cooking, I added some bottled wing sauce and melted butter. Boom done. The tacos are topped with a cold, crispy and tangy coleslaw made with ranch dressing and blue cheese. These are the best of both worlds- hot & spicy and cold & crunchy. A (very) cold beer to wash it all down, I like to think of these tacos as the portable (and much less messier) version of the iconic bar food.
If you’re feeling especially lazy (it’s all good, we all have those days) bypass my recipe for making ranch home made and buy a jar of ranch dressing (make it the good stuff, pretty please?) and use 1/2 cup of that mixed into pre-made coleslaw mix. Instead of dinner on the table in 10, it’s now on the table in 5. I suppose you could use corn tortillas but I like the fluffiness and comfort of a flour tortilla- the ones I used happen to be gluten free but any will work. The leftover chicken is a wonderful topper on a salad and pretty good as a dip for tortilla chips (lazy lady’s lunch).
Shredded chicken in the slow cooker has endless possibilities for tacos… you should see the list I have going on my iPhone! Have a great day everyone! And be sure to come back next week to see what taco’s I’m cooking up!Print
For the Chicken:
- 1 lb organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup your favorite wing sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
For the Coleslaw:
- 16 oz package coleslaw
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon dried ranch dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
For the Chicken:
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker with chicken stock, garlic powder, onion powder, and kosher salt. Cook on low for 4-5 hours. When chicken is cooked, shred with two forks. Add wing sauce and butter. Mix thoroughly and let cook for an additional 10 minutes.
For the Coleslaw:
- While chicken is cooking, prepare coleslaw by placing the cabbage, celery and sliced onions in a large bowl. Make the dressing by mixing mayonnaise, buttermilk, dried ranch dressing mix and sugar in a small bowl. Add to cabbage mix and toss to coat cabbage. Add blue cheese and stir just to combine. Coleslaw can be made up to a day ahead.
- When ready to serve, scoop chicken into a flour tortilla and top with desired amount of coleslaw. Garnish with extra blue cheese crumbles and ranch dressing if desired.