Whiskey Roasted Nuts
Roasted mixed nuts with High West Whiskey, butter, hot sauce and honey. They’re savory with just a touch spicy and sweet. In two words, these Whisky Roasted Nuts are completely addicting.
I was gifted some whiskey roasted nuts by my trainer just before the holidays. After eating the entire jar by myself on the way home from the gym (mind you it was a small jar and my workout was hard AND I can justify just about anything), I new I needed the recipe. You see, these nuts aren’t all that sweet. They’re buttery and savory in the best way possible with just a *touch* of heat. They’re pretty much perfection in my savory, snack-loving mind.
Due to my inability to leave any recipe given to me as is and using what I had on hand, I switched up the original recipe just a tad. The original calls for sugar while I used local honey. Instead of Tabasco sauce, I used Crystal hot sauce (my fave!) and while Jack Daniels is the whiskey preferred, I went with my ‘ol reliable High West- keeping it local, y’all. Plus, the High West Double Rye Whiskey is my absolute favorite. It’s my nightcap of choice after a long day and tastes amazing on these roasted nuts! It’s mandatory to do a shot while you’re making these! (No really, it is.)
I made a huge batch in the New Year to hand out to neighbors and a few lucky friends and the rest sat on my counter in a bowl where anyone who passed could grab a handful on their way by. These didn’t last long, I’ll tell you that much. I kept a snack size baggie of these in my snowboarding jacket to fuel me in-between runs and I also broke some up and topped a green salad last week. Versatile and snack-a-licious, you can’t go wrong! I’m thinking these would be a welcome addition on the coffee table while you sip a beer (or whiskey) and watch football this weekend.
Short and sweet today as I’m cooking for clients in town and trying to sneak in a few runs in all the fresh snow we got. Happy Hump Day and see you back here tomorrow for The Goods! xo, KelleyPrint
A mostly savory roasted nut with whiskey and honey.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2–3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 cups raw nuts (I used pecans, cashews and almonds)
- Preheat oven to 300F degrees.
- Put nuts in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine butter, honey, hot sauce, whiskey, salt and garlic powder. Stir to combine and bring to a bare boil. Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and pour over the nuts.
- Coat the nuts thoroughly and then pour nuts (and any remaining sauce) on a large rimmed baking sheet. Spread nuts into single layer and roast 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before transferring nuts to a container. Eat within 2 weeks.
This recipe makes a big batch. Feel free to cut it in half.