Applesauce Spice Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Frosting
One year ago today I gave birth to my second child.
A feisty, independent and very vocal little boy.
With the sleepless nights and endless diaper changes came more joy than I could have imagined.
In one year this little person has taught me to love like I never knew I could, take things one day at a time and above all to slow down to enjoy each and every moment.
The year has gone by faster than I’d like but with each new day he learns something new and my heart grow bigger.
Last night, my family came over for dinner and we celebrated the little man’s birthday with grilled steaks, spinach salad AND……spiced applesauce cupcakes. These cupcakes are moist, not too sweet and have just right amount of spice which I think makes them perfect for this time of year.
Topped with a brown sugar cream cheese frosting, they are fit for adults and one year olds alike. Without the frosting, these cupcakes double as a muffin and are perfect for throwing into my four year olds lunch box!
Happy birthday little man. I love you beyond words!Print
These high altitude apple muffins are full of spicy warm flavors. The frosting is is so dog gom good it’s hard not to eat it all before you get it on the cupcakes!
Applesauce Spice Cupcakes:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup minus one tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple sauce
Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8oz Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (one stick) butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Line 2 12-cup standard muffin tins with paper liners.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat until each is fully incorporated.
- Add vanilla and beat well.
- Stir in first the applesauce and then the flour mixture just until combined.
- Divide batter among lined cups and bake 20 minutes or until done.
- Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes.
- Cupcakes will keep unfrosted in fridge for up to a week or frozen up to two months, in airtight containers.
To Make the Frosting:
- In a small bowl, whip together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add brown sugar and incorporate until no lumps are present. Add vanilla extract, ground cinnamon and pinch of salt. Mix until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Frost cupcakes liberally and enjoy!