Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Prosciutto, Fig Jam & Fresh Mozzarella
Melted cheese, oozing from two slices of bread pan fried in butter. Uh, Yeah. Seriously, what’s not to love about a grilled cheese? It’s not a favorite of kids and adults alike by chance. The total comfort food, it’s my go to dinner when I want to keep things quick. Paired with a simple salad or a bowl of soup, you have the perfect meal.
There are so many variations and endless possibilities with the grilled cheese. This sandwich is made out of leftover ingredients from my fridge that I needed to use up. Nutty, whole grain bread with cranberries from Whole Foods paired with salty prosciutto and sweet fig jam. With the creamy mozzarella, this sandwich is a real winner.
There isn’t a whole lot to say. Make the sandwich and drool.
- 2 slices hearty whole grain french bread
- 3 oz fresh mozzarella, thickly sliced
- 2 oz prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fig jam
- soft salted butter for spreading
- Spread the fig jam on the inside of each slice of bread.
- Layer with mozzarella cheese and prosciutto.
- Lightly (or not!), butter the outside pieces of the bread.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Place the sandwich in the pan and press gently. Grill, turning once or twice until the cheese is melted and the bread is crisp taking care not to burn.
- Remove from pan, cut on the diagonal and serve right away.