Banana Streusel Muffins
The ultimate banana bread muffin made even better when topped with butter, brown sugar and walnuts to create a buttery, crunchy streusel.
I remember going to “get” my make up done a month or so before my wedding. I wanted to do a test run before the big day and since I don’t wear much make up to begin with, I thought it best to use a professional to help me pick out the right things. So down to Nordstrom I went, hoping to leave a better version of myself. Instead I left looking like a clown. I came home and my now husband asked me what I’d done to my face. I had so much make up on, I looked ridiculous. Never have I felt so uncomfortable. I immediately scrubbed myself clean thinking I was doomed for my wedding day. After asking around, a friend of a friend was recommended to me and though she didn’t do make up for a living she was way into it and loved to dress people up. So she came to my house and we talked a bit about the look I was going for and guess what? She nailed it. After she was done, I still looked like myself. Just a more dressed up version of me. Just enough make up to feel like I was about do something special but not too much that I felt like someone else.
The old adage less is more is one I adhere to often. It couldn’t have been more applicable when it came to gussying myself up for my wedding day and I use it all the time in the kitchen. I think creme brûlée is better when left alone, I prefer popcorn when simply dressed with butter and a touch of sea salt, and a I dig a steak, grilled, as is. I’m a broken record, I know, but when you start with good ingredients, you don’t need to do much. Simple food is delicious- and even more so when you start with a quality product. So when I went to use up some leftover bananas I had on my counter last week, I really had to think twice before messing with my tried and true, and totally unadorned banana bread recipe.
I make banana bread at least once a month and it’s so great on it’s own that I never mess with it. Not even a handful of chocolate chips or chopped nuts. But last week something got into me. I wanted more. Not different. Not unfamiliar. Just enhanced. I wanted the banana bread but something with a little make up and in a pretty dress. I wanted these muffins to get married, darn it!! I figure brown sugar, butter, and chopped walnuts are the equivalent to mascara and blush so I made a delicious crumble that melted perfectly on top of the muffins making you think these were exactly the way they should be. After one bite you still recognized the banana bread but could appreciate the streusel as a welcome addition.
Moral of the story? Don’t over due your make up on your wedding day. And make banana muffins with streusel because it’s a match made in heaven.Print
For the streusel:
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cold
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
For the muffins:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3–4 very ripe bananas, peeled & mashed
- 3 tablespoons whole fat greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- To make the streusel, combine flour, both sugars, cinnamon and walnuts in a medium bowl. Cut the cold butter into small chunks and add to streusel, using a pastry cutter or two forks to mix the crumble. Keep the crumble in the fridge until ready to use.
- Line two 12-cup standard muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together both flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, eggs, and oil until light and fluffy. Stir in mashed bananas, vanilla and greek yogurt. Fold in dry ingredients.
- Divide batter into 18 muffins. Top with a heaping tablespoon of the streusel topping.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until muffins are golden brown on top and insides are done.
- Remove from oven, let cool and then dive in!!