Blueberry Pie Oatmeal
Blueberry Pie oatmeal is my latest breakfast obsession. These oats are easy enough to whip up on a busy weekday morning and are also perfect for a lazy Saturday breakfast when you can lounge on the couch, drink all the coffee, and really savor these pie inspired oats!
If I had to pick only one thing to eat for breakfast for the rest of my life it would be oatmeal. It’s one of the few breakfasts I eat that can fuel me through a morning of snowboarding or a long tennis game and because they’re so versatile, I never get bored eating them.
Oats can be so boring and blah and too often they are. I mean, how often do you order them out at a restaurant? Never, right? I’ve only ordered oats once at restaurant that really that blew my mind. Otherwise they’re always just kind of meh. Hence why I make them at home instead. Nothing makes me happier (from a cooking perspective anyway….) than transforming a boring bowl of oatmeal into something spectacular- a breakfast that you want to eat over and over again. This bowl of Blueberry Pie Oats is totally that recipe.
I usually keep things pretty simple: cooked oats, fruit, nuts and hemp seeds for protein, and a drizzle of honey. Sometimes I’ll use fresh or dried berries but my preference is to defrost frozen berries in the microwave because I like the juice to swirl into my oats. I used to use maple syrup or brown sugar to sweeten but again, honey is my preference right now. I almost always use a handful of walnuts or pecans as a topper but a drizzle of runny nut butter is pretty damn good too. Like I said above, oats are so versatile it’s hard to get bored!
These Blueberry Pie Oats are a game changer. For just a little more effort, the outcome is exponential. I’m going to go out on a limb and say these might be the best (or at least top 3) bowl of oats I’ve ever had. They’re indulgent but not heavy, filling, and the blueberry topping? It’s out of this world. For reals, this is one of my favorite recipes on the blog. Of all time.
A little bit about the recipe…..
Or you could just make the recipe as written and have your mind blown. If you do make the oats, be sure to share on Facebook or Instagram and tag #mountainmamacooks as I love to see what you’re all making! Have a great rest of your week! xo, Kelley
A breakfast favorite, these oats are reminiscent of blueberry pie!
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 cups water
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- toppings: hemp seeds, walnuts, honey
- Bring water to a boil. Add salt and oats. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes until oats are creamy and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, add frozen blueberries, orange juice, syrup and cornstarch to a small sauce pan. Bring to simmer and cook 3-5 minutes until blueberries are cooked and you have a nice syrup.
- Divide oats between two bowls. Top each bowl with half the blueberry mixture. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of cream over each bowl. Top with a pinch of hemp seeds, a small handful of chopped walnuts and a drizzle of honey.