Cranberry Cinnamon Whiskey Cocktail
‘Tis the season for eating too many cookies, all the holiday hoopla, and for me- a nightcap just about every single night. These Cinnamon Cranberry Cocktails are my take on a festive old fashioned and if I do say so myself, totally dynamite!
Anyone else have no idea what day it is? I swear the days between Christmas and New Years roll together into one long snowboarding, eating, condo renovating, movie watching blur. At least that’s how things are going at Casa de Mountain Mama. It’s pretty perfect and I wouldn’t change it for anything.
I’ve seen so many friends on Facebook and Instagram complain about having the kids home from school. They can’t wait for the break to be over. I might stand alone here but not me. I love having mine home. No schedule to adhere to, no lunches to be made first thing in the morning, and I truly love all the time we’re getting together. Mind you I don’t have super little kids that need watching all the time nor do I have surly teenagers. I guess I’m in the parenting sweet spot right now. Whatever the reason I’m loving the break and having my kiddos around.
We’ve been working hard(ish) this break, renovating a condo we bought over the summer. It’s at a small little ski resort not far from where we live so our days have looked something like this: get up, drink coffee, snowboard, work on the condo, have a cocktail, dinner, watch on a movie, sleep, repeat. Not so bad, eh? 🙂
I’ve learned how to mud a wall, texture a wall, I’ve been painting all the things, and I’m going to learn how to tile as well. It’s been so much fun. Hard work but fun. The only downside to our situation is all the dust- that I could do without. I swear I sweep and vacuum twice a day and I’m still not keeping up on it. Anyhow it’s been a fun project and a great way to finish out 2017. In my attempt to get a cute shot of my husband and I toasting all of you with this deliciously festive whiskey cocktail, the dogs had other ideas!
Cheers to another year and a heartfelt thank you to each one of you for reading my posts, making my recipes and telling you friends about “Mountain Mama”! See you in 2018! xoxo, Kelley
photos by Kellie Hatcher/ recipe by Mountain Mama CooksPrint
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
for the cocktails:
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon syrup
- 1+ shot whiskey (or more)
- 2 oz cranberry juice
- 3 oz sparkling water
- fresh cranberries and rosemary
- Make the simple syrup by heating the sugar, water, and cinnamon sticks on the stove top in a small sauce pan. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. This will make enough syrup for multiple cocktails.
- To prepare one cocktail, fill a glass with ice. Add cinnamon syrup, whiskey, cranberry juice, and sparkling water.
- If you want to get fancy, poke a hole in a few fresh cranberries and string them on a sprig of fresh rosemary. Add to cocktail for garnish. Swirl and enjoy!