Cranberry Coffee Cake Muffins
I’m loving on these Cranberry Coffee Cake Muffins. They’re perfect with a cup of morning coffee or afternoon tea. The cranberries add just enough tart to offset the sweet, and if I do say so myself, they are perfect thing to serve for a holiday breakfast or brunch because they’re just so beautiful and festive looking!
I bet I’m not the only one that has had a 1/2 bag of fresh cranberries hiding in the crisper drawer since Thanksgiving. It happens to me every year. I buy a bag or two, use most of them, and the end of the bag sits in my produce drawer completely forgotten. I pulled mine out a few weeks ago determined to use them up and not let them go to waste.
I thought about making my favorite cranberry salsa for tacos but I had the itch to bake instead. It was a cooler morning, Kellie and I were shooting photos for the blog, and I’d gotten up early. I didn’t really intend to blog these or share the recipe- I baked them more so we’d have something to nibble on why we shot the other recipes. But they turned out so good- better than I’d expected- that I thought it cruel not to share. You’re welcome. 🙂
Whenever I share a dessert or sweet recipe, I’m constantly touting them as not overly sweet. I get that sweets are supposed to be just that- sweet- but over the years I’ve trained my sweet tooth to like desserts and baked goods that aren’t your typical sweet. It’s too much for me these days. I’m constantly lowering the sugar content in recipes and adding ingredients to cut or balance the sweetness. These muffins fall into that category beautifully thanks to the fresh cranberries. They add such a nice bite of tartness. I usually want to slather my muffins in butter (I’m a glutton like that) but ate these as is. They’re pretty darn perfect jut the way they are.
This recipe makes exactly 11 muffins. I’ve made them twice to see if I could eek out a 12th one but no avail. If you’re like me and like things even, I’m sorry. But once you taste these I think you’ll forgive me! Have a great day! xo, Kelley
photos by kellie Hatcher/ recipe by Mountain Mama CooksPrint
For the Muffins:
- 1/2 cup flavorless oil (I like avocado or grapeseed)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
For the Crumble Topping:
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with 11 liners; set aside.
- First, make the streusel: in a small bowl, stir together all the ingredients with a fork until small clumps form; set aside.
- Next, make the muffins: in a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the oil, sugar, and salt. Use a whisk to combine ingredients thoroughly. Add eggs, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir just until combined- don’t over mix. Finally, stir in the coarsely chopped cranberries.
- Divide batter evenly between 11 lined muffin cups. Top each with a generous pinch of the crumble topping.
- Bake muffins for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove muffins from oven and let cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing from pan to cool completely. Serve warm or at room temperature.