Easy Skillet Caprese Chicken
From June to September I want all things mozzarella and tomato. This Easy Skillet Caprese Chicken is my way of kicking off my favorite summertime eats and I’m confident that you’ll love too!
I’ve use the grill and my cooktop to make dinner more in the last few weeks than I did all winter. I’ve moved away from the oven and slow cooked meals in favor of fresh and fast. 1) I don’t have the time to preheat the oven and make a lengthy dinner. Plus- who wants a hot kitchen on a warm evening? Not this gal. 2) I’m not motivated to be planning meals that need to go in the slow cooker mid day. We’re too busy playing outside!
So the grill and easy cooktop dinners it is. By the time we get home from playing outside and actually remember to eat dinner, it’s often past dinner time. Who wants to cook when it’s practically time to start doing bed time? Again, not this gal.
I’ve now made this Easy Skillet Caprese Chicken twice. It’s just that good. And easy. And it can literally be on the table in under 30 minutes. The trick is to use thin chicken cutlets as they cook so much quicker than regular chicken breasts. Because tomatoes aren’t in season quite yet, I do a quick sauté on some cherry tomatoes so they get slightly caramelized and cook just until before they burst. OMG, they’re delicious. The whole dish is cooked in one pan and the sauce has all the yummy brown bits from the chicken. So basically what I’m saying is this dinner is a busy mom’s dream. Quick, easy, one pan, and a family favorite.
You could serve this over pasta or zucchini noodles, or even make a sandwich with leftover hamburger buns as done by my 11-year old. Either way, just don’t leave off the balsamic glaze- it’s what pulls this dish all together! ps- my families favorite part are the tomatoes if you couldn’t tell. You could literally double the tomato portion and it still wouldn’t be enough!
Have a a great week and thanks for being here! xo, Kelley
photos by Kellie Hatcher/ recipe by Mountain Mama CooksPrint
Easy Skillet Caprese Chicken
A 30-minute, one skillet dinner. The Caprese Chicken is a family favorite!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken cutlets
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- pinch kosher salt and black ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 thin slices mozzarella cheese
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- good balsamic vinegar (or balsamic reduction) for glazing
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season chicken cutlets- on both sides- with Italian seasoning, paprika, and a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper. Cook chicken 2-3 minutes on each side just until chicken is about 90% cooked through. Remove chicken from skillet and place on a plate.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil to the pan, reduce heat to medium, and add the cherry tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes start to glisten and look like they’re just about to burst- about 4-5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Season tomatoes with a pinch of kosher salt.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and top each of the chicken cutlets with a slice of mozzarella cheese. Cover and cook 2 minutes until cheese is melted and chicken if cooked all the way through. Serve each chicken cutlet with a scoop of the burst cherry tomatoes, a few ripped basil leaves, and a drizzle of reduced balsamic glaze.
This doesn’t include the instructions for the balsamic vinegar.
It does. You just drizzle the reduced balsamic on top of the cooked chicken!
I agree with Penelope. How do you “reduce” the balsamic?
You can actually cook balsamic over the stove top on low until it reduces, or you can buy reduced balsamic at the grocery store like I do!
How do you “reduce” balsamic?