Green Goddess Tortellini Salad
Green Goddess Tortellini Salad highlights all my favorite green vegetables: broccoli, zucchini and avocado. A light garlic-lemon vinaigrette, cheese tortellini and (optional) toasted almonds make for an easy and delicious vegetarian pasta salad.
It’s been raining here all week. This kind of weather makes me want to curl up in bed all day and read books and drink tea. I did just that yesterday morning as we blew off swim lessons and my workout in favor of the bed. Windows open and raining falling, the boys watched the Brady Bunch and ate dry cereal while we lounged in bed and I read my book and drank a steamy mug of Chai. It was a welcome break amidst the packing and cleaning and just enough to recharge my batteries to tackle yet another day of getting ready to move.
After sorting through all my canning stuff (whoa, it’s a lot) and cleaning out our mud room and laundry room, I rewarded myself by playing in the kitchen most of the afternoon. The kids were occupied with a houseful of friends so I tackled some recipes I’ve been wanting to blog to get myself ahead. Two taco recipes for the upcoming weeks, a risotto that will make you swoon and what I was hoping would be an awesome peach-cheescake bar dessert but quickly turned into a soggy failure. 3 out of 4 ain’t bad, right? I noshed on the end of this pasta salad as I cooked and listened to the Bob Marley Pandora station totally oblivious that my younger son and his friend were tattooing themselves with Sharpies. Determined not to blow a gasket, I decided to chalk this one up as artsy. Exploring their creative side if you will. Back to my cooking bubble I went.
I made what I’ve dubbed as the “Green Goddess Tortellini Salad” over the weekend and just yesterday finished it off. It held up surprisingly well. I’ve been a big fan of the meals that keep on giving. Make it once and eat it twice. Or in the case of this pasta salad- 3 times. Makes my life easier and tastier. Who knew a rainy day in the middle of a huge move could be so lovely? Minus the sharpie incident, of course.
Happy hump day and here’s to more rainy days.Print
A vegetarian tortellini salad with broccoli, zucchini and avocado.
- 1/2 lb three cheese tortellini
- 2 heaping cups broccoli florets (about 1/2 head)
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 avocado, diced
- toasted almonds optional
- Bring a large stock pot of water and a hefty pinch of salt to a boil. Add the tortellini and cook according to package instructions. About 1 minute before pasta is finished cooking, add the broccoli to the pot. Cook for the final 30 seconds, drain, and then run under cold water just long enough to stop the cooking. Add the drained tortellini and broccoli to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cut the zucchini in half length wise and then cut it again into thin, crescent shape slices. Add the zucchini to the broccoli and tortellini.
- In a mason jar or other container with tight fitting lid, add white balsamic, lemon juice and minced garlic. Slowly add the avocado oil and then salt and pepper. Place lid on and secure tightly. Shake vigorously to mix the dressing.
- Pour dressing over tortellini mixture and toss to combine. Place in fridge for 2-3 hours so flavors can meld. Just before serving, add diced avocado and toasted almonds if desired.