High Altitude Blueberry Muffin Recipe
A tried and true High Altitude Blueberry Muffin Recipe, these muffins are eliable, perfectly sweet, and loaded with blueberries.
We are in the homestretch of the school year, people. Only a few days left and then it’s SUMMER. The word on the street is mixed. Some of the mamas I talk to are dreading the end of school and having their kids home all summer. The others, like me, are thrilled that school is coming to an end. I’m so ready for lazy days and no schedule. I’m sure I’ll feel differently come August but for now I’m looking forward to having my kids home for the next few months!
The kids are only signed up for one week of camp and we’ve got one family trip planned. Otherwise we’re on our own. I foresee pool days, play dates, sleeping in, late night movies, and hopefully a few camping trips. I’ve been cooking up a storm and photographing recipes so I’ll be well stocked with new recipes to share here. I’m really looking forward to relaxing with my kiddos this summer.
I’ve tossed around the idea of creating a “summer bucket list” with the kids but keep holding off because I’m afraid if we do a bucket list then we’ll feel obligated to get all the stuff done and it’s just not sitting right with me. Like it defeats the purpose of wanting to have a relaxed and schedule free summer, you know? Maybe we’ll each just pick few things we want to do and call it good.
One thing we’re for sure doing this summer is I’m teaching my boys how to do laundry. It’s time. They’ve always helped fold and put their clothes aways but I’m ready for them to be able to load, wash, dry, fold, and put away. The whole kit and caboodle in the laundry room if you will. So yeah, other than teaching how to do laundry we’ve got nothing planned. I’m sure they’ll be thrilled, don’t you think? #not #butoverit
I’m sure I’ll spend sometime in the kitchen- I can never stay away for long. It’s always been my happy place! These blueberry muffins are my go to and get made on the regular around here. Don’t let the dark edge turn you off- it’s the pan- not the recipe! These muffins are a family favorite and get gobbled up every time I make them. They’re loaded with wild blueberries, not overly sweet, and perfectly simple. I like mine slathered with butter aside my morning coffee while my boys like them in their lunchbox or as an after school snack. Either way, they’re simplicity at their best.
What are your summer plans? Hope you’re having a great week and, as always, thanks for reading! xo, Kelley
photos by Kellie Hatcher/ recipe by Mountain Mama CooksPrint
A tried-and-true recipe for Blueberry Muffins that works perfectly at high altitude every time!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermill
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine oil, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk until thoroughly incorporated. Whisk in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Whisk just until egg is incorporated.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the sugar/egg mixture. Stir just until combined- taking care not to over mix. Fold in the blueberries.
- Evenly divide the batter between the 12 muffin pans. Go ahead and fill the muffin tins to the top! Bake muffins in a 425F degree oven for 5 minutes and then lower the oven temperature to 375F degrees and cook for 18-20 minutes more. Remove from oven and let cool completely on a cooling rack.