Kale Caesar Pasta Salad
Happy belated Memorial Day! I’m a day late. Ugh. Story of my life. Now that summer is officially here I’ve got a ton of pot luck dishes to share. First up is this Kale Caesar Pasta Salad and it’s quickly become a family favorite!
Did you all have a nice, long weekend? Ours couldn’t have been more mellow. Our weekend was filled with flag football, a hike, sleepovers, basketball playoffs, and if I’m being honest, I watched more than my fair share of Acorn TV. Have you watched Acorn? It’s like Netflix for BBC junkies and I’m obsessed! We also had family over for dinner on Saturday. I grilled chicken and made a version of this salad- my potluck go to.
I always make some sort of salad when invited to a pot luck. I always pick something hearty because there always seems to be an (over) abundance of veggie trays and store bought desserts. I guess making a salad is my way of making sure I’ll have something delicious to nosh on besides raw veggies and cookies! It’s also one of the easiest things to make.
This is hybrid of three of my favorite salads: kale, Caesar, and pasta salads. I love a good kale salad, Caesar (hold the anchovies), and I’ve never met a pasta salad I didn’t like. This Kale Caesar Pasta Salad is perfectly hearty without being too heavy. I’ve made a version of this with romaine but it needs to be eaten asap. The romaine just doesn’t hold up in the pasta salad as well as the kale does.
I crush up store bought croutons and top the salad- just before serving- for some added crunch and texture. While not mandatory, I really think they make the salad. And don’t be afraid of the mayo in the dressing. It’s not much to begin with and this salad won’t last long at any bbq!
Have a great week and thanks for reading. (ps- check out Acorn TV!) xo, Kelley
photos by Kellie Hatcher/recipe by Mountain Mama CooksPrint
A hearty pasta salad with chopped kale and a Caesar like dressing.
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 heaping tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the pasta salad:
- 1 lb bow tie pasta
- 1 large head of kale, tough stem removed and coarsely chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup crouton “crumbs” (store bought croutons that have been lightly pounded into coarse crumbs)
- Boil pasta according to directions on package.
- Make the dressing by putting all the ingredients into the base of a blender or small food processor. Pulse until dressing is combined and throughly mixed.
- Drain pasta and rinse under cold water. Add pasta to a large bowl. Add chopped kale, halved cherry tomatoes, and shredded parmesan cheese; toss to combine.
- Just before serving sprinkle crouton crumbs over the pasta salad.