Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
I’m back with another Instant Pot recipe for you. Today it’s Beef Stroganoff from the new pressure cooker cookbook, The Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook: 200 Fast and Foolproof Recipes for Every Brand of Electric Pressure Cooker by my friend, Barbara. This recipe is not only easy and delicious but it’s comforting and the perfect cold weather dinner!
December: it’s a love/hate around here. Anyone else have a full calendar this month? I just sat down, as I do every week, to look at our family calendar and update it with the weeks happenings and we’ve got a jam packed few days. All if it self imposed, most of it things we’re truly excited about doing, but none the less it’s packed and for more reasons than I’ll go into today, packed calendars give me a bit of anxiety. I like my downtime and busy weeks don’t bring out my best if you know what I mean.
I cut back on the amount of catering I do over the holidays years ago but even just taking a few jobs is enough to make me feel the pressure. Between the extra work I’ve committed to, kids activities, volunteering, and the (too many) holiday gatherings, this month is going by in a blur. But December is always like that around here. I think it’s why I love the New Year so much. January feels like a fresh start and I know I don’t have to see December for another 12 months!
Meal planning is key when our week’s are crazy. Family dinner has always been our families landing pad if you will. Amidst a busy day, days, or week, it’s where we sit down and check in with one another. Even if just for a few minutes, it’s a few minutes where the day stops and I can recharge and reconnect with my babies and husband. While the slow cooker has always been my secret weapon when it comes to meal prep, my Instant Pot is making a play for top spot. This beef stroganoff is just one of the reasons why! Fifteen minutes of prep and the next 20 minutes I can help kids with homework, check email, pour a glass of wine and just take a deep breath. Boil some noodles and boom. Dinner is ready.
The recipe comes from my friend, Barbara’s, new pressure cooker cookbook. She writes the amazing blog, Pressure Cooking Today, my go-to when I have a pressure cooker question or need recipe inspiration for dinner. Barbara’s pressure cooking skills are legit and her new cookbook is proof of that! I had such a hard time deciding what to make and share here. This cookbook is going to get a ton of play in my kitchen. All the recipes are familiar, simple and use ingredients you likely already have on hand. There are pictures for most of the recipes (my fave!!!) and it’s well written as well. There are recipes for beginners and pressure cooker veterans alike. In two words: get it.
I did tweak Barbara’s recipe just a bit as I doubled the mushrooms and cut back on the beef just a bit. I also sautéed the mushrooms right in the Instant Pot instead of on the stove top as she does so I’d have one less dish to wash. You can’t go wrong either way. The tomato paste gives it just the right amount of tang and sweetness and the gravy is spot on. We served the stroganoff over egg noodles but I really think it would be just as delicious served over steamed rice or even spiralized veggies if you’re watching your carbs.
I hope you find some time for yourself this week. It’s such a crazy time for most of us and self care gets put on the back burner. What are your favorite tips or advice for staying sane this time of year? You can bet I’ll be sitting at the table, wine in hand, eating well and hanging with my fam. As always, happy cooking and thanks for reading! xo, KelleyPrint
A hearty beef stroganoff recipe made in the pressure cooker!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 lb beef round steak, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used stew meat)
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/3 cup sour cream + more for serving
- cooked egg noodles, for serving
- Select “Sauté” to preheat the Instant Pot. When hot, add 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil. Add sliced mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are lightly browned and soft. Transfer mushrooms to a plate for later use.
- Keep Instant Pot on “Sauté” mode. Season beef generously with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Brown the meat in batches, about 3 minutes per batch, until all the meat is browned. Add more oil if needed. Do not crowd the pot. Transfer the meat to a plate.
- Add the onion to the cooking pot. Sauté for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft and beginning to brown. Add the garlic and tomato paste. Sauté for 1 minute. Stir in the beef broth to deglaze the pot, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom. Add the browned beef and any accumulated juices. Lock the lid in place. Self “High Pressure” and cook for 18 minutes.
- When the cook time ends, turn off the Instant Pot. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and finish with a quick pressure release. When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and cold water until smooth.Add the slurry to the pot. Select “sauté” mode and bring the gravy to a boil, stirring constantly until it thickens. In a separate bowl, combine 1/3 cup gravy with the sour cream and mix well. Add the sour cream mixture to the cooking pot along with the cooked mushrooms and stir until well blended. Serve over egg noodles.