Instant Pot Garlic Pepper Smashed Potatoes
Not fully mashed, these ‘Smashed’ Potatoes are made in the Instant Pot and seasoned with my new favorite seasoning, garlic pepper. And butter. Lots and lots of butter. 🙂
Why oh why did I drag my feet for so long before buying an electric pressure cooker? I swear that each time I use the Instant Pot I fall more in love with it. I feel like I’m just starting to realize it’s potential. But let me tell you this: I’ll never make mashed potatoes any other way. This was without a doubt the easiest way to cook potatoes. And the most time effective. And mindless as I didn’t have to babysit a pot of boiling potatoes on the stove.
Like I said, I’m sold.
A few months ago we celebrated my Dad’s 70th birthday. His favorite holiday and meal is a traditional Thanksgiving spread so that’s how we celebrated. Somehow making a turkey dinner in early September feels like you’re getting away with something. It was so much fun (and obviously super delicious) I couldn’t help but think I really should make a turkey dinner more than just on Thanksgiving!
My cousin’s wife’s mom (yep, we’re a big ‘ol happy extended family up in here) brought the most delicious mashed potatoes. Being a family of mashed potato connoisseurs, we all raved about them and asked her how she made them. She ticked off the usual suspects- half and half, butter, salt. But then she said she likes to mix in a healthy dash of garlic powder. I’d never even heard of it but you can bet I picked some up my very next grocery store run. I’m now putting it on just about everything.
While Wendy fully peeled and mashed her potatoes by whipping them in a stand mixer, I went the more rustic route. (Yep, the easy way!) I used local red skinned potatoes and left the skin on. The skin is a little sweet, chocked full of nutrients, and I just happen to love the chunky texture. I did keep follow suit by adding half and half and an unreasonable amount of butter because, duh! It’s the only way to do it!
You could easily cook your potatoes by boiling or steaming them but I urge you to try the electric pressure cooker if you have one. Total game changer. And pick up some garlic pepper! It’s not overly peppery and is such a nice addition. Just the right amount of garlic and spice. These will for sure be making an appearance on our Thanksgiving table!
photos by Kellie Hatcher/ recipe by Mountain Mama CooksPrint
“Smashed” potatoes made in the Instant Pot flavored with lots of garlic!
- 2.5 lb red potatoes, washed and quartered
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2–3/4 cup whole milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic pepper blend
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh parsley, optional
- Place potatoes and water in Instant Pot (or other pressure cooker) and set valve to seal. Choose ‘manual’ and cook on ‘high pressure’ for 12 minutes and then do a ‘quick release’.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter, 1/2 cup milk and garlic over low heat on the stove top.
- Drain the potatoes. Add the milk/butter mixture and use a handheld “smasher” to break up potatoes and incorporate the milk and butter. You may need the other 1/4 cup of milk. Add it gradually to get desired consistency. You want potatoes to be creamy but not soupy. Stir in the garlic pepper blend and kosher salt to taste.
- Serve warm. Top with fresh parsley garnish is desired.