Instant Pot Pulled Pork with Honey Mustard BBQ Sauce
This Instant Pot Pulled Pork with Honey Mustard BBQ Sauce is my summer time go to. The honey mustard sauce is everything!
How is it July already? Between the end of the school year madness and then two weeks of traveling, June went by in a blur. I can’t believe the 4th is day after tomorrow. We have exactly zero plans this week. I’m sure we’ll try and catch a firework show but other than that we’re laying low and hanging around the house.
I’m hoping we’ll get invited to some sort of 4th gathering (any takers?) so I planned ahead and bought ingredients to make a few dishes to offer up if we get invited to a bbq. You don’t want to show up empty handed, you know? While I’m usually the gal that brings a salad to a pot luck this week I’ll be bringing the meat. OMG, that sounds naughty. But trust me when I tell you that you want this meaty delicoiusness and all its glory on your potluck table.
Up until recently I’ve always made pulled pork in the slow cooker but after making it in my pressure cooker a few times now, I’m a convert. It’s a no brainer. Cooking the pork in the Instant pot yields pork that is sooooooo tender and the flavor is more concentrated than the slow cooker. It’s the bomb. I shred the meat and then put it under the broiler for just a minute to crisp up the edges. It’s not mandatory but I like the crispy bits.
As tender and delicious as the pulled pork is, the real show stopper here is the honey mustard bbq sauce. I could drink it. Ok, maybe not drink it . But still. I can slather it on my sandwich and got to town. It’s the perfect balance of sweet and savory and it pairs beautifully with the pork. You could go all healthy and serve this in lettuce wraps or over rice but I like it best nestled in-between a Hawaiian roll and topped with dill pickle chips. Bring me a cold beer and a side of potato chips and I’m one happy lady!
Do you have plans this week? Right not my only date is with a sandwich. And I’m not sad about it. Happy 4th! xo, Kelley
photos by Kellie Hatcher/recipe by Mountain Mama CooksPrint
Honey mustard pulled pork made in the Instant Pot. Such a great summer potluck recipe!!
- 1 cup yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 lb pork roast cut into 3-inch chunks
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or water)
- 1/2 cup honey mustard sauce
- Make the honey mustard first. Combine mustard, honey, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar in a small saucepan. Simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside to let cool.
- Make the rub for the pulled pork. In a small bowl, combine cumin, brown sugar, paprika, mustard powder, salt, and pepper. Use a fork to mix well. Toss the pork pieces with the rub and coat evenly. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Turn your pressure cooker to the “sauté” mode. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and when the base is hot, add 1/2 of the pork. Brown on every side. Remove from Instant Pot and repeat with the other tablespoon of olive oil and pork.
- Add the pork back to Instant Pot along with 1/2 cup of water (or chicken stock) and 1/2 cup of the honey mustard sauce. Secure lid on pressure cooker. Make sure the vent is in the “seal” mode. Select “high pressure” on your IP and cook for 1 hour. Let sit for 5 minutes and then do a quick release.
- Pork should shred easily with two forks. At this point, you can toss the pork with the honey mustard sauce or drizzle the honey mustard over the pork. This is great as a sandwich, taco, or topped on a salad. Enjoy!