Kale and Sausage Stuffed Delicata Squash Recipe
Raise your hand if you’re familiar with delicata squash.
That’s what I thought. (I don’t see many hands.) Don’t feel bad. I didn’t know what it was either until late last summer when a friend introduced me at the locals farmers market. I was intrigued by the shape and color and I adore any winter squash so bought a few that week to try out at home. For the next three weeks, I bought delicata squash every Wednesday and could truly not get enough of it! I didn’t see it again until the LAST day of the market this year. So you better believe I stocked up so I can enjoy it little by little over the next month or so.
Delicata squash is an heirloom variety and with it’s edible skin, it tastes similar to a sweet potato. Yes, the skin is edible. Which kind of makes it like a summer squash but you remove the seeds and bake it like a winter squash so I suppose it’s somewhere in between. Last summer I sliced the squash into moon shapes before roasting it and made this amazing salad that we ate week after week after week……but with the colder weather I crave heartier dinners that are warm and comforting. I decided to stuff the squash using some of my favorite winter flavors. Heart healthy kale, spicy turkey sausage, nutty swiss, and salty parmesan make up the filling and if I do say so myself it was perfect with the sweet and creamy squash.
I enjoyed the stuffed squash as my main course for dinner, the hubby enjoyed it as a hearty side dish to a grilled rib-eye. Either way, the flavors scream comfort and this would be a great addition at any Thanksgiving table. If you happen across this beautiful oblong squash I urge you to buy it and take it home. It’s quickly becoming a favorite in our house. Here are a few other tasty looking recipes to inspire you!
Delicata Squash Stuffed with Orzo in Brown Butter Sage Sauce, by Herbivoracious
Roasted Delicata Squash Salad & Tortellini Salad, by The Garden of Eating
Delicata Squash Salad with Arugula, Cranberries and Feta, by Mountain Mama Cooks
Five Spice Roasted Delicata Squash, by Karista’s Kitchen
- 2 medium delicata squash, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 oz Italian style turkey sausage
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 bunch kale, coarsely chopped (about 2 heaping cups)
- 1 tablespoon cooking sherry
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock or water
- 1/4 cup grated jarlsberg or other swiss cheese<
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- To prepare squash, preheat oven to 375F degrees. Place halved and seeded squash on a baking sheet and drizzle with a touch of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in a preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- While squash is roasting, prepare filling. In a small saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add turkey sausage and onion, cooking until sausage is cooked through and onions are soft about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Stir sage, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper into the sausage mixture. Add chopped kale, sherry, and water. Give a good stir and then cover pan with a lid for 3-5 minutes, stirring a few times, until kale is starting to wilt and most of the moisture has evaporated. Remove filling from the stove and let cool 10 minutes.
- Lastly stir in both cheese and taste, adjusting seasoning if necessary.
- Split the mixture among the 4 divided squash and top with a tablespoon of breadcrumbs if desired. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes until filling is heated through and squash is completely cooked. Remove from oven and enjoy as a meal or hearty side dish.