Mason Jar Turkey Taco Salad
Mason Jar Turkey Taco Salad’s for the win. This is such a great recipe to meal prep on a weekend and you’ll have a healthy and delicious salad lunch all week long!
Is the mason jar salad thing still a craze? Was it ever a craze? Or am I just a person that appreciates a good kitchen hack? Either way, making salads ahead and storing them in a mason jar is genius. Hats off to whomever came up with the idea! Who wouldn’t love reaching into the fridge and having a delicious, filing salad ready to roll for an easy, no brainer lunch?
No one. The answer is no one.
I’m either totally on or totally off when it comes to meal prep. I will go weeks and sometimes even months when I get dinner on the table regularly and have healthy, easy to grab lunches in the fridge. And then, without even realizing it, I fall off my meal prep train. I don’t really know why or how it happens. It just does. But then after weeks of not having meals planned and eating crappy throw-together lunches I get back on the wagon.
These Mason Jar Turkey Taco Salads are the result of my last real meal prep endeavor. I was determined to eat a fresh lunch for a week straight instead of defaulting to my favorite cheese and crackers which I was eating way too much of! No dissing on the classic combo though because it will forever be my favorite snack and lunch when I have nothing else prepped. I was simply relying on it way too much!
This salad is legit. I mean who doesn’t love tacos? Everybody loves tacos. And this taco salad is the bomb! I did try to make it a tad healthier by swapping the ground beef for lean ground turkey and using a Greek yogurt based dressing instead of a heavier mayo based one. I still eat my taco salads with tortilla chips on the side for scooping and, I never skimp on the shredded cheese or other taco goodies. The result is two thumbs up. Who knows how long the meal prep will last this time around but for the time being my lunches are the bomb!
Feel free to swap out the toppings or use your favorite dressing. I almost always add a bit of fresh avocado just before serving but don’t like to put in the jar when I assemble the salads as the avocado turns brown.
As always, thanks for reading and have a wonderful week! xo, Kelley
photos by Kellie Hatcher/ recipe by Mountain Mama CooksPrint
Mason jar salad with ground turkey, salad makings, and a yogurt based dressing!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 bunch green onions, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 2 cups tightly packed romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lime, cut into slices
- handful fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado, optional
- 1/2 cup Cilantro Avocado dressing from Bolthouse, or similar dressing of your choice
- Heat a large sauté to medium heat. Add ground turkey and brown. Add paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, tomato paste, and water. Stir to combine and cook just until turkey is cooked all the way through. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Line up 4- quart or 6-pint mason jars. Add a few tablespoons (or desired amount) of dressing in the bottom of jars. Divide ground turkey between the jars. Layer with diced tomatoes and scallions. Next add the corn. Top with a healthy handful of romaine lettuce, a tablespoon or two of shredded cheddar, a pinch of fresh cilantro, and a slice of lime.
- Top each mason jar with a lid. These will store in the fridge for 3-4 days. When ready to serve, shake jars to toss all ingredients with the dressing. Dump into a big bowl and, if desired, top with a few slices of avocado.
You can make these in a pint or quart size jar. Makes 4-6