M&M Valentine Brownies
Perfectly dense and ALL the chocolate, these M&M Valentine Brownies are sure to swoon whomever it is that you’ve got your eye on this Valentines Day!
I caved. The darned seasonal isle at the grocery store drew me in. I don’t even like Valentines Day and yet I bought cards for my husband, the kiddos…my mom! What the what? A Valentine for my mom? But the card is awesome- it’s SO her and super funny so I know she’ll love it. But still. It then turned into me buying red, white and pink M&M’s and before you know it, I got on Amazon and ordered each of them a little something as well. Who am I? Apparently I’m a girl that used to be jaded by all the hoopla around Valentines day. Now I’m just a mama that subscribes to all the lovey dovey stuff and just wants to do something special for her man and kiddos. And her mom. Don’t forget about the mom.
I don’t usually make food based on the upcoming holiday. And it’s not because I’m against it. It’s just that I’m usually too much of a slacker. Planning ahead is not my forte. As I drink my coffee and look at all the holiday themed stuff the internet puts out, I’m like I should so do that next year! But then I don’t. Because like I said, I’m not a plan ahead kind of gal. But this year it was a little different. My dear old Aunt Flo was visiting this week and I was craving something chocolatey. Remembering the M&M’s I had stashed away, I thought I’d dive into those. And then I thought they’d be even better baked into or sprinkled on top of brownies. 45 minutes later, boom! M&M Valentine Brownies were born. Let’s dive (head first) into the awesomeness that these brownies are, shall we?
Perfectly dense, these bring all the chocolate. Chocolate brownies, chocolate frosting and adorned with possibly my favorite candy of all times: M&M’s. These aren’t for the faint of heart, that’s for sure. Unapologetically, these brownies are as rich as brownies get. It’s a sugar overload for sure, so tread carefully. These brownies are pretty rich so just a small piece is perfect. I love that they’re so easy to make and bonus that these were well received by the kiddos, my husband and the awesome mom at school who was in charge of my little ones Valentines Day party yesterday. (I took her a plate as a thank you)
M&M Valentines Brownies = crowd pleaser.
If your all bah humbug over V day- I feel you. If you’re goo-goo ga-ga over V day- I kind of feel you. Either way, make the brownies.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend! xo, KelleyPrint
For the brownies:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- M&M brownies for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease an 8×8 pan and set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, melt better over medium low heat. Add cocoa powder and stir to combine. Remove from heat and add sugar and eggs; use a whisk to fully incorporate. Stir in flour, vanilla and salt. Stir just to combine.
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Batter will be thick so you’ll have to use a spatula to spread it out. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove brownies from oven and put on baking rack to cool.
- Meanwhile make frosting. Sift together sugar, cocoa and salt; set aside.
- Cream butter in mixing bowl using a stand mixer. Gradually add in sugar to butter, alternating with milk. Add vanilla. Mix until creamy. Spread over warmish brownies. While frosting is still soft, add M&M candies and softly push them in. Let brownies cool completely before cutting into them.