Peanut Butter and Honey Pancake Tacos
My Eldest: Mom, are you getting out of bed? I can’t find my shoes.
Me: Ugh, is it 7:30 already? I haven’t made lunches yet. Double ugh, it’s Taco Tuesday and the recipe I made and photographed last night sucked and I don’t really want to post it. I really hope the kids don’t want pancakes for breakfast.
The Little One: I want pancakes for breakfast.
As I flipped pancakes and made the kids lunches (it’s a mom super power to do both efficiently), I couldn’t help but feel reluctant about posting the taco recipe I had for today. In true Mountain Mama fashion, I waited to the last minute to test the recipe and in all honesty they totally sucked. So here I was this morning, taco-less, coffee-less, flipping pancakes, making sandwiches and wishing I could just go back to bed.
But I didn’t go back to bed. I continued to flip pancakes. And all to quickly my brain switched thoughts entirely and I started thinking that pancakes is hardly a well rounded breakfast. Sure they’re homemade and most kids would be lucky to get a hot breakfast before leaving the house but somehow pancakes on their own just fall short. I know that as much as I love a plate of pancakes, I’m usually hungry hours later as it just isn’t enough to sustain me through my morning. And I like said above, I hadn’t had any coffee so asking me to scramble some eggs or fry some bacon was totally out of the question.
I needed a tacos and the kids needed more than pancakes so I did what any super-hero mom who also happens to write a food blog does. I combined the two problems and came up with one solution. Peanut Butter and Banana Breakfast Tacos. I had a breakfast packed with the goods that I knew would keep my kids bellies sustained through lunch and I also had a genius (albeit unconventional) taco to give you today.
Thank you and you’re welcome. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need some coffee.
ps- the kids, my husband and I all loved these. You can make it your own by putting whatever you want in. I opted for unsweetened coconut, chia seeds and a drizzle of honey.Print
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 bananas
- honey for drizzling
- unsweetened coconut & chia seeds (optional)
- Preheat griddle or large sauté pan to medium heat.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine egg, milk and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir until smooth.
- Spoon batter onto greased pan. Use about 1/4 cup batter so you get 4-5 6-inch pancakes. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Spread each pancake with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Top with sliced banana and drizzle with honey. If desired, sprinkle with coconut and chia seeds. Fold into taco and enjoy!