Pickled Radish Avocado Toast
Quick pickled radishes elevate avocado toast to the next level. Slide Ridge Honey Vinegar makes for just sweet enough pickled radishes that are the perfect compliment to the creamy avocado on this simple avocado toast.
I wrote earlier this week about looking for new cookbooks whenever I travel to a new city. Well, it’s not just cookbooks that make they way back to my kitchen. I also like to visit local farmers markets and grocers looking for artisan and unique products that are unique to that region. I’ve come home with jams, pickles, hot sauce and plenty of power bars and spice mixtures. I even came home once with a suitcase full of meyer lemons once; can you say VRBO score??
I love the idea of supporting local wherever I am and even more so love supporting companies that are passionate about making good food better. Farmers markets are a great place to look for small batch products as are Whole Foods and other small grocers. Whole Foods is great about supporting local purveyors and I can always spot a local ingredient thanks to their “I’m Local” signs. Forget the shoe shopping and perusing art galleries- I want the sustenance. From the girl who takes a bag with her every time she goes to NY so she can fill it with bagels.
If you’re ever in the Salt Lake area I highly suggest picking up a bottle of Slide Ridge Honey Vinegar. It’s a family run business that produces honey and the most unique wine vinegar made from their honey. It’s perfectly sweet making it a great choice for pickling without adding any additional sweetener. It’s my secret ingredient for this soup, it makes a wonderful vinaigrette and their honey is divine drizzled on roasted vegetables.
This toast is my amped up, spring version of avocado toast. It makes a great simple lunch or breakfast and the pickles make a great addition to any salad or sandwich. Enjoy and have a great rest of the week!
For the pickled radishes:
- 1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup Slide Ridge Honey Vinegar
- 2/3 cup water
- 6 scallions trimmed to fit into a pint size mason jar
For the toast:
- 4 slices whole grain, seedy bread
- 1 avocado
- coarse sea salt
- scallions for garnish
- butter (optional)
- To make the pickles, bring honey vinegar and water to a simmer in a small sauce pan. Place sliced radishes in a pint size mason jar along with scallions. Pour the warm vinegar mixture over the radishes. Let radishes come to room temperature before putting a lid on and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- To make the toast, toast bread until lightly brown. Spread with a smear of butter (optional but I’m always in favor of butter) and top each slice of toast with 1/4 of sliced avocado. Top with pickled radishes, a sprinkle of sea salt and garnish with the sliced greens of a scallion.
- Serving Size: 1 slice of toast
I was given a gift card from Whole Foods Market to write a spring recipe featuring a favorite local product of my choice. Slide Ridge is a company I’m proud to support. All thoughts and opinions are my own