Potato Chip Crusted Chicken Nuggets
I think it’s pretty obvious that I love food. It’s kind of my whole life. So it surprises and saddens me that my four year old is so decisive about what he will and will not eat. He used to eat just about anything and nowadays he can be so selective. He used to eat anything I put in front of him. And while some days that’s still the case, more times than not I get some really ridiculous reason why he doesn’t want to eat what I’ve made. A few of my favorites: I don’t like green food, I’m allergic to the little things in that, I tried that before at Grandma’s house and she said I didn’t have to eat it, and, lastly, I’ll eat it but I’m not going to be your baby anymore.
Oh the joys.
I don’t want to make food a battle. So sometimes I have to take a deep breath turn my head the other way and let it go. I’m not into bribing and I want my kids to grow up and enjoy eating and trying new things. I have two rules at my table: you have to try at least one bite of everything and if you don’t eat dinner, you don’t get dessert.
Sometimes kid food is really good. As is the case with these potato chip crusted chicken nuggets. I like to make a big batch and put them in the freezer to pull out for quick meals. They’re a safe bet when it’s babysitter night or an impromptu play date with friends. I know, I know buying a big bag of nuggets at Costco is so much easier and probably a lot cheaper but you know what? They’re gross. Gross tasting and I’m not sure they are even made with chicken. So please for the love of all things chicken, make your own. It’s easy and you’ll children’s eating habits will thank you.
Soaking the chicken in buttermilk, while not necessary, is well worth it. It tenderizes the chicken and gives them a nice “bite”. Plus it helps the coating adhere therefore making your life much simpler. Nuggets need a little crunch so why not use crushed up potato chips. My little boy thinks it’s the coolest thing ever. A little brown sugar balances out the salt and gives them a little extra something.
Serve the nuggets with whatever dipping sauce you like. Our favorite? Ketchup. We eat a lot of ketchup. Hey, you can’t win ’em all.
A fun homemade version of chicken nuggets where the chicken is soaked in buttermilk and coated in crushed potato chips. Kids and adults will love these!
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Combine cut up chicken breasts and buttermilk in a large bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
- In a separate bowl, combine crushed potato chips, breadcrumbs, brown sugar and seasoned salt. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Drain buttermilk off chicken and coat chicken pieces in breadcrumb/potato chip mixture.
- Place chicken in a single layer on baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked all they way through.
- Once cooked, nuggets can be frozen in an airtight container and reheated in a toaster oven or microwave.