Salted Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
These Salted Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies are soft, fluffy, studded with dark and light chocolate and sprinkled with coarse sea salt just before baking. Thank you and your welcome.
Homemade cookies are like a big ‘ol hug from your favorite grandma. Which for me is completey ironic and a little bit sad because not only is my favorite grandmother no longer alive, she couldn’t bake to save her life. Seriously you guys, my grandma made the worst cookies ever. She was, however, the best giver of hugs and was for long as I can remember as affectionate of a person you ever met which indefinitely made up for the fact that her kitchen skills were a total joke.
I kid you not when I tell you my Grandma’s cookies were complete crap. Every Christmas she’d give the entire family individual tins full of the “goodies” and cookies she’d made (no doubt weeks before). And while we’d all smile graciously and take the tin, it usually went straight to the trash. I can’t believe I’m ratting my dead grandma out but seriously y’all, the lady knew her way around a kitchen like I know my way around China. (I’ve never been to China.)
BUT, for whatever cookie magic she lacked, she more than made up for it in other departments. She was a talented painter and artist, one of my favorites being the matching jean jacket and purse she made. I only wish I was lying. Being a widow so young, she was fiercely independent and created an amazing life for herself full of travel and many friends. She has a wicked sense of humor and made just about everyone around her laugh- unless you were the butt of her jokes and then…well….you probably didn’t think she was all that funny. She was a firecracker and caring, loved with such gusto and I can say without a doubt my obsession of jam came directly from her.
Gosh, I didn’t really intend to write an entire post about my grandma today but for whatever reason, baking these cookies reminded me of her and I miss her like mad. She had a mean sweet tooth and I would love nothing more than to sit down to a cup of coffee with her and share these while we told naughty jokes.
Here’s to you Grandma! xo, KelleyPrint
A soft and fluffy peanut butter cookie studded with dark and milk chocolate chips.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt such as Maldon
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- In a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, combine butter and peanut butter. Melt butter and peanut butter completely and then remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl mix flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, combine the cooled butter and peanut butter with both the white and brown sugar in bowl. Beat on low until the sugar and butter are light and fluffy about 2 minutes. Add the egg + egg yolk, and vanilla and beat just until mixed. Gradually add flour mixture and stir just to combine. Fold in the milk chocolate chips and dark chocolate chunks.
- Place dough by heaping tablespoon on baking sheet lined with either a baking mat or parchment paper 2-inches apart. Sprinkle with a pinch of coarse salt.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown and the centers are soft and puffy. Take care not to over bake. Remove cookies from oven and transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.