Sausage and Crescent Roll Breakfast Casserole
‘Tis the season for family gatherings and holiday get togethers. This Sausage and Crescent Roll Breakfast Casserole is not only easy to prepare it’s absolutely delicious and perfect for feeding a crowd.
As I look over my calendar for the next three weeks it’s nothing short of FULL. ‘Tis the season, am I right? We have end of the year performances for the kids, holiday socials, and I start my busy season with work. I used to get really stress out this time of year with everything going on but the last few years I’ve gotten better about saying no.
I don’t commit to all the holiday parties we get invited to. I say yes to the ones I really want to attend and politely decline the ones that feel more like an obligation. I’m choosy about the catering jobs I take on, making sure my clients don’t overlap and I give myself a bit of space between gigs. On the home front, I keep meals simple, the kids close to home and, the house as quiet as I can. It works for me.
Or should I say it mostly works for me. It’s not that I won’t be stressed this month- I think we all are to some degree. It’s just the nature of December and the holidays. I’ve just learned that saying no and not over committing makes me less stressed, you know? I’m hosting only one holiday gathering this year. My family is coming over the weekend before Christmas (we all do our own thing on the 25th) and we’ll do an early celebration. Because we all have busy schedules and kids, we usually opt for a late morning get together so everyone can get on with their days. This year it will be brunch and our annual holiday gift exchange.
We keep it as simple as we can. Every adult brings a $25 dollar gift and then we do a fun exchange that is drawn out and includes lots and lots of laughing! The food will be simple as well. Everyone brings something. I’ll prepare something like this breakfast casserole and everyone else will fill in with sides. We’ll drink coffee and spend a couple of hours laughing and catching up while we do our gift exchange. It’s a wonderful, stress-free way to celebrate!
For so many years I over complicated, over committed, and over bought. Since scaling back, I find the holiday season to be so much more enjoyable. Funny how that works. What your favorite way(s) to keep the holidays stress free? I’d love to hear. Happy cooking and thanks for being here. xo, Kelley
ps- a bit about this recipe. The combo of the swiss and cheddar is irresistible and the fresh rosemary is what makes this as good as it is. It’s best made the night before or at least 4 hours before you plan on baking it. Enjoy!
photos by Kellie Hatcher/ recipe by Mountain Mama CooksPrint
A make-ahead breakfast casserole with sausage and swiss cheese.
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 8-oz package crescent rolls
- 3/4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the breakfast sausage in a large sauté pan over medium heat, breaking up with a spoon, until the sausage is browned and crumbly. Remove from heat and drain the fat from the sausage; set aside.
- Unroll the crescent rolls and press them evenly, sealing the seams together, in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle the cooked sausage over the rolls. Top with the shredded swiss and cheddar cheese.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, whole milk, fresh rosemary, dried mustard powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk together. Pour the egg mixture over the crescent rolls and sausage mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Let the casserole sit for at least 6 hours, or overnight. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375F degrees. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes just until eggs are set and crescent rolls are golden. Serve immediately.