Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup
A lightened up chicken and vegetable soup, made in the slow cooker, that tastes just like the filling of a chicken pot pie. Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup is a quick and easy weeknight meal that’s also easy on the waistline.
This title might be a little misleading because there is actually no potpie in sight. No buttery, flakey crust. No doughy biscuit topping. Not even a layer of store bought puff pastry. Sorry folks, there is nada. Nothing. Zilch. Just a healthy soup that tastes just like the filling of my favorite chicken pot pie without all the guilt. While we both know I don’t shy away from fat or guilt laden foods (because bacon and butter!), but sometimes it’s nice to lighten things up a little bit. And hello, swimsuit season is just around the corner….
This soup just sort of came together last week. It was a clean-out-the-fridge-for-dinner kind of soup. I had a crisper full of veggies, a few chicken breasts and like 20 minutes before I had to pick the kids up from school. I tossed it all together and out the door I went. 3 1/2 hours later after running errands and overseeing hockey practice, we came home to dinner already done. That’s what I call a winner, winner chicken dinner. Now if I’d just remembered to pour myself a glass of wine and have THAT ready when I walked in the door.
I didn’t really know how the soup was going to turn out since I literally just threw a bunch of stuff in the slow cooker, turned it on and called it good. After I shredded the chicken and stirred it back in the soup, I decided it still tasted a little bland. I seasoned it liberally with salt and pepper, some fresh lemon juice and zest and my secret ingredient: creme fraiche. Oh yes, creme friache…a full fat cultured cow’s cream similar to sour cream but like a trillion times better. It doesn’t curdle or separate when you stir it into something hot. It added just the right creaminess and tang that this soup needed. Just enough richness to trick my palate into thinking I was eating something way more indulgent than a big ‘ol bowl of shredded chicken and steamed veggies.
I didn’t have any intentions of blogging the soup but after putting a pic on Instagram and Facebook, I got a few requests for the recipe. You guys love your slow cooker recipes, don’t you? And who am I to deny you? Saying yes feels so much better than saying no, don’t you think? Especially when it involves good food. You can quote my husband on that. It’s one of his favorite things to say!
So let’s tackle this Wednesday like a boss, shall we? An easy slow cooker dinner for the win knowing that swimsuit season doesn’t have jack on us. And all that really means is the soup is good. And healthy and regardless of how many donuts I eat between now and June, I’m gonna rock my strategically ruched one-piece that magically slims my midriff like the middle aged mama of two that I am. But still, I got this. And so do you.Print
A slow cooker chicken soup that is naturally gluten free and light and healthful!
- 1 small yukon gold potato, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 oz coarsely chopped mushrooms
- 1 small bunch asparagus, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small onion, minced (about 1 cup)
- 3 carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 ribs celery, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast (1 large or 2 small chicken breasts)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon season salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 4 oz creme fraiche
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all cut up vegetables and dried spices to the base of a slow cooker. Place chicken breasts on top- sprinkle with additional salt and pepper- if desired. Add chicken stock. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken, shred it with two forks and then add back to the slow cooker. In addition add to the chicken, stir in 4 oz creme fraiche, zest and juice of 1 lemon and about 1/4 cup of chopped parsley.
- Season again with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve as is!