White Cheddar & Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins
These White Cheddar & Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins are a riff off my High Altitude Cornbread Recipe. They’re savory, have just a hint of spice, and are soooooooo good slathered with warm butter and honey!
I’ve been watching The Great British Baking Show like it’s my job. I love it so much. I mean that set- all those cheery colors under a big canopy in the middle of the English countryside. It just makes me so damn happy! I adore how kind everyone is to one another- no fighting or drama- and it makes me want to buy an English baking book and learn to bake all the traditional pastries and biscuits. I’m still not entirely sure what a Yorkshire pudding is but I want in!
I watched the first two seasons a few years back and then life got in the way somewhere during the third and I haven’t really watched since. I needed a new show after binge watching THIS and so I started watching season 4 of The Great British Baking Show a few nights ago. I stayed up way to late last night and today lost a good part of my afternoon learning what a proper biscuit should consist of and obsessing over making a cake with a mirror ball glaze. If you don’t know what I’m talking about go check it out! That shine tho. For reals.
It’s ironic that I write a food blog- one that focuses on high altitude baking no less- and yet I’m not a very accomplished baker. I don’t make a ton of fancy things or bake that often with yeast. (I’m scared of yeast.) I stick to what I know- basic cookies, quick breads and muffins, and, of course, bundt cakes. I would love to take some baking classes and up my game at some point but don’t know when that will happen. Maybe in my next life. Or at least when my kids kid older!
Until then I will continue to do bake what I do know and make new recipes based on my tried-and-true recipes. Hence these White Cheddar & Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins. The base is very similar to my High Altitude Cornbread Recipe– one of the most popular recipes on my blog! To the base I added shredded white cheddar, diced jalapeño, and I decreased the sugar a bit. Baked in a muffin tin, these are downright delicious!
I baked the cornbread in muffin tins, 1- because they cook for a shorter time, but 2- muffin sized cornbread are perfect vehicle(s) to get my favorite vegetarian chili from the bowl to my mouth! These muffins are delicious on their own but they are OUT OF THIS WORLD when served slightly warm and slathered with butter and a drizzle of honey. Like, OMG, good. Seriously! Don’t take my word for it. Get your baking on!!
Hope you’re all having a wonderful week! xo, Kelley
photos by Kellie Hatcher/ recipe by Mountain Mama CooksPrint
Delicious cornbread muffin recipe with shredded white cheddar cheese and diced jalapeños.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup corn, frozen or canned
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-2 jalapeños, seeds removed and finely diced
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners or butter muffin cups generously.
- Melt butter and let cool.
- In a medium bowl combine together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Add dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Stir in corn, shredded cheddar and diced jalapeños.
- Divide evenly amongst 12 muffin tins. Bake in preheat oven for 15-18 minutes just until browned at edges and muffins are baked all the way through.
- Remove muffins from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to cool completely on a cooling rack. Serve with lots of butter and honey!
I like to remove the seeds and membranes from the jalapeños so I get the flavor but not the spice. Not necessary but I like to mince 1 1/2 jalapeños for mixing into the muffin batter then thinly slice the last 1/2 to place on top of the muffins. This is strictly for aesthetic reasons!