Whole Wheat & Almond Flour Chocolate Chunk Cookies
These Whole Wheat and Almond Flour Chocolate Chunk Cookies just very well might be my new favorite cookie. (But take that for what its worth because I love just about any homemade cookie!) Whole wheat flour, almond flour, quality chocolate bars coarsely chopped and a sprinkle of sea salt at the end for good measure.
I did a small catering job a few weeks ago where I prepared breakfast, lunch, afternoon snacks, dinner and dessert over four days for small group that was hosting their annual business meetings. Even though it was only 5 people, I was cooking all three meals so efficient prep and any thing I could make ahead was going to be key to my survival. I know I like a little something sweet in the afternoon and what’s better than a chocolate chip cookie and cup of tea when you’ve been sitting in meetings all day?
I knew going in that the group had a partiality towards healthier eating. And while I make no claims that cookies are “health food”, replacing traditional white flour with whole grains is certainly a step in the right direction. I based the recipe off one of my favorite cookies of all time, these Chocolate Chip and Hazelnut Cookies from my friend, Annalise. I made them two days before the group came into town, froze them and then pulled them out the afternoon I planned on serving them. No one new the difference, the cookies were a HUGE hit and I found myself with a new favorite cookie recipe.
The combination of whole wheat flours give the cookies and earthy, wholesome bite while the almond flour lends a nuttiness and grit making the cookies the perfect balance of chewy and crispy. I adore the mix of dark and milk chocolate and love the larger chunks that come from cutting up a bar. And lastly, because I’m a firm believer in the salty sweet-combo, a sprinkle of coarse salt on top takes these cookies over the top.
Thanks for reading, everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend and happy Monday! xo, KelleyPrint
A whole wheat and almond meal chocolate chunk cookie!
- 1 cup butter, slightly softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cups almond flour (ground almond meal)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 7 oz chocolate bars, coarsely chopped (I like a combo of dark and milk)
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, almond flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugars on medium speed until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and mix well. Add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated. Stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Drop cookies by the rounded tablespoon onto a sheet pan lined with either parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and immediately sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of coarse sea salt. Let cookies cool for a few minutes on the pan and then move them to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies freeze beautifully or can be store in an air tight container on the counter or in the fridge for up to a week.
Recipe adapted from THIS COOKIE RECIPE from Completely Delicious.