Winter Root Vegetable Soup
This Winter Root Vegetable Soup is perfect for a cold, wintery night- which we’ve been having a ton of lately! Serve this soup with buttered bread and a glass of wine.
This golden hued soup is made with winter root veggies and luscious coconut milk. It’s filling without being heavy and soooooo velvety. It’s loaded with winters best- carrots, parsnips, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. The color is gorgeous and so is the flavor!
My husband and I debate the same thing everything I make soup- does soup count as dinner? I say hell yes! My husband says no way, Jose.I think soup and bread will always be a complete meal but my husband thinks soup is nothing more than an appetizer- a precursor to the real meal. Unlucky for my husband I do most of the cooking so if I want to make soup for dinner, well then, it’s soup for dinner. If he wants something more then he’s on his own!
I make a ton of soup during the winter months. It’s a staple for me- not so much my hubs- but you can almost always find a jar or two of soup in our fridge. I find it the perfect way to prep for the week too. Soup for dinner and then we’ll get a lunch or two out of it as well. Soup for dayzzzzz!
You could totally switch up the veggies you use in this soup- there are so many root vegetables to choose from. The soup is super forgiving- I’ve made it with both veggie and chicken broth. Use what you’ve got and don’t be afraid to switch up the quantities as well. Just make sure to serve the soup with lots of crusty bread and salted butter!
And, a glass of wine or two! 🙂
Thanks for reading and have a great week! xo, Kelley
photos by Kelli Hatcher/ recipe by Mountain Mama CooksPrint
A luscious, vegan soup made with winter root vegetables and coconut milk.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, cleaned and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (or more to taste)
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and diced
- 4 small golden yukon potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup sherry or dry white wine
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized stock pan.
- Add onion and celery and cook, over medium-low heat, 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic, curry powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook 30 seconds-1 minute just until fragrant.
- Add diced carrots, parsnips, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. Turn heat up to medium-high. Add sherry or wine and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute or so until sherry evaporates.
- Add vegetable stock and bring soup to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer soup for 25 minutes or until vegetables are very soft and cooked through.
- In batches, puree soup in high powered blender. Alternately, you could use an immersion blender.
- Return soup to pot and over low heat, stir in coconut milk. Season soup with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with lots of warm, crusty bread!