Crispy Tofu Tacos with Cherry Salsa
Crispy Tofu Tacos with Cherry Salsa will be loved by vegetarians and meat eaters alike. The crispy (slightly spicy) tofu is paired with a fresh cherry salsa, sprinkled with sharp white cheddar and all nestled in flour tortillas. Taco Tuesday is on!
I went through a vegetarian phase when I was in high school. I was by no means an animal activist but my reason for not eating meat was not wanting to hurt the animals. It didn’t last very long (I’m pretty sure it was bacon that wooed me back) but it was fun to annoy my dad who is the biggest meat eating carnivore you’ve met even if just for a little bit. At least that was my thought processes almost 20 years ago.
Today it’s a little different. I do eat meat. And bacon. (You know how much I love my bacon) but today I’m more conscious not to mention more informed on the impact eating meat has not only on my body but also the environment. As the main “cooker” in my family, I’m much more judicious about where our meat comes from and over the last year, we’ve cut back on how much we consume. It can be tough because my husband, like my dad, could be happy with a juicy steak every night of the week.
I try to mix up our veggie centric meals offering something that is still substantial but also exciting. It’s easier in the summer when the produce is abundant and easy to get your hands on. But even then, salads and stir-fries (my veggie go to’s) can get old quick. Lately I’ve been experimenting with pasta dishes- we had a killer creamy primavera last night- and as you can see here, my beloved taco is getting some play. Admittedly we don’t eat a lot of tofu. I’m always unsure of what to do with it but on a whim I picked up a package of Trader Joe’s sprouted tofu on my last trip and it was staring at me in the fridge for a good couple weeks. I’m glad I bit the bullet and tried something new. These tacos were AMAZING. The tofu was ultra crispy and savory and the cherry salsa was the perfect compliment.
It was tofu for the win for my meat eating husband and my bacon loving self. Proof that tofu isn’t the enemy and veggie dinners can rock your world. Have a great Taco Tuesday, everyone and thanks for reading! xo
Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for an Uncommon Goods gift certificate!Print
Crispy Tofu Tacos with Cherry Salsa
- Yield: 6 tacos 1x
Vegetarian tacos made of crispy tofu and a cherry salsa!
- 15 oz package extra firm tofu, excess moisture drained
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and quartered
- juice of 1/2 large lime
- 1/4–1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 4–5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup white cheddar
- 6 6-inch flour tortillas
- To make the salsa, combine cherries, lime juice, minced jalapeño, cilantro and a pinch of salt. Let sit while you prepare the tacos.
- To make the tacos, start by dicing the tofu into 1/4-inch cubes.
- In a small bowl combine cumin, garlic salt, coriander, oregano, and onion powder. Toss the tofu cubes in the seasoning mixture until the tofu is evenly coated on all sides.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan. Cook 1/3 of the tofu, turning so that all sides brown, about 8 minutes. Repeat with remaining oil and tofu until it’s all cooked.
- To serve tacos, heat tortillas in either the microwave or in a dry sauté pan over medium heat. Divide tofu between 6 tortillas and sprinkle with shredded cheddar and top with a scoop (or two) of cherry salsa.
I am loving the sound of this!
You know I will be making these! Love the cherry salsa!
For someone who doesn’t love tofu, I can testify that there were awesome!
I made these for dinner tonight. They were wonderful. The spice mix was so flavorful, without being too spicy for the kids (left the jalapeno out of their salsa). Thanks!
I’m so glad you enjoyed them. Thanks for the comment!!