Crispy Veggie Tacos (Oven or Traeger)
These Crispy Veggie Tacos are the bomb. My favorite summer vegetables are roasted to perfection, the spicy refried beans add just a little kick, and the hard corn shells get crispy in the oven. I absolutely love everything about these tacos and the recipe couldn’t be easier. It’s a win, win!
I couldn’t decide if I should call these Crispy Veggie Tacos, Roasted Veggie Tacos, or Traeger Veggie Tacos. Ultimately I didn’t want to alienate anyone that doesn’t have a Traeger Grill because you can easily adapt this recipe to work in any oven or grill! And, even though the veggies are roasted it’s really all about the crispy shells in the end. So as you can see, Crispy Veggie Tacos was the winner. With all of that being said, if you do have a Traeger grill, USE IT TO MAKE THESE TACOS.
Sorry for yelling.
We eat a lot of tacos. You’ll find so many taco recipes here on the blog already and my family eats tacos at least once a week. We’ve been using our Traeger non stop this summer and making tacos top the list of favorites. Like I said above, you could use your oven for this recipe but the Traeger lends the perfect smoky flavor and there’s just something about cooking al fresco, you know? The more I use my Traeger, the more I love it. This recipe is no exception!
TIPS FOR THE BEST ROASTED VEGGIES
No matter if you use a grill or your oven, there are a few tips for ensuring the best roasted vegetables. First off, don’t overcrowd the pan. Leave room between the veggies so they can caramelize. If you put too many veggies on the pan they’ll end up steaming. Pick veggies that have a similar cooking time. Nothing worse than under (or over) cooked veggies. Use a really hot oven. Deep color = deep flavor and you’ll get that if you cook veggies at a higher oven temperature without overcooking the veggies.
MAKING CRISPY TACOS
In addition to roasting the veggies, I put the tacos back into the oven (or on the Traeger) once they’re assembled so the corn shells warm through and get golden and crispy. If you haven’t had a warm, toasted corn shell then you are seriously missing out! You can top the tacos with your favorite condiments but I like a little cheese, a squeeze of lime, and a drizzle of hot sauce. Avocado and sour cream would be awesome as well!
recipe by Mountain Mama Cooks/ photos by Deb DeKoffPrint
A delicious and easy recipe for crispy vegetarian tacos!
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 small zucchini, cut into sticks
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and cut up
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup your favorite refried beans (I use Simply Truth here)
- hard corn taco shells
- cilantro, lime, cotija cheese, hot sauce
- Preheat Traeger grill (or oven) to high (or 400F degrees).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Toss the veggies with olive oil, salt, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin. Toss to coat and spread evenly out on parchment lined baking sheet. Roast veggies for 20 minutes or until just starting to caramelize. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, spoon 1-2 tablespoons of beans into the corn taco shells. When veggies are done evenly divide them amongst the taco shells. Line the taco shells in a baking tray so they stand upright. Sprinkle with cheese. Return tacos back to oven and cook 5 minutes just until taco shells are golden and toasty the cheese is starting to melt. Serve immediately.
- This makes 6-8 tacos. Store any leftover beans for another use.
You could use whatever veggies you like- however this is my favorite combo. If you don’t have (or like) cotija, use shredded jack or cheddar! Add guacamole or sour cream if you like!