Grilled Romaine with Green Goddess Dressing
Have you ever grilled your greens? If not, you need to remedy that ASAP. I’m loving on this Grilled Romaine with Green Goddess Dressing right now and I’m confident that you will too!
And just like that another school year begins. My boys went back to school last week and I have mixed emotions. I am never fully ready to send my boys back. I always feel like we could use a few more weeks to tackle the summer bucket list items we never seem to get to. I’m also not looking forward to early mornings and making lunches. HOWEVER, I think the routine of school is what we all need for me to shake my funk and get back to some sort of normalcy.
Along with school year start comes fall sport schedules. We have something every single night of the week plus two games on Saturdays. We’re barely into it and I’m already feeling a little bit stretched. Is it too early to declare the next eight or so Sundays as “do nothing” days? Since we’ll be running around all week I know that we’re going to need a day to decompress and reset for the following week. So yeah, if you need me on Sundays I won’t be available. OK?
Anyone else start to feel the dinner time pressure when school starts? Cereal at 8:45 at night just isn’t going to cut it when you’re at school all day and then playing football or lacrosse for 2 hours a night, you know? Though my kids would probably be psyched if I let them eat cereal instead of a proper meal I just can’t do it! I’m always looking for easy dinner ideas- ones that can be prepped ahead or come together quickly.
I’m lucky my boys will eat salad. Especially my older one. They both prefer crispier lettuces like romaine or ice burg and they don’t like their salads “too fussy”. I didn’t know if they’d be into the grilled romaine but they liked it. They did opt for ranch dressing instead of the green goddess I made but no biggie because THEY ATE THE SALAD!!! (One eats the tomatoes while the other leaves them behind.)
This grilled romaine is enough on its own if you just want a light dinner but it’s a great side to simple grilled chicken or salmon. The salad comes together in minutes and the dressing can be made ahead and stores well in the fridge for up to a week. Hope you’re all having a great week!
photos by Kellie Hatcher/recipe by Mountain Mama CooksPrint
A simple grilled romaine salad with Green Goddess dressing.
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bunch of scallions, white and light green only
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- 3 heads romaine, washed and cut in half lengthwise
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 20-25 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- shredded Parmesan cheese (as much as you’d like!)
- Make the green goddess dressing. Place parsley, cilantro, avocado, Greek yogurt, garlic, scallions and lemon juice in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Drizzle in olive oil and pulse to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a tablespoon of water a time to thin to your desired consistency. Dressing can be made a few days ahead! Store in fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Drizzle cut sides of romaine with 1/2 of the olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Do the same to the uncut sides. Grill romaine for 2-3 minutes per side just until the leaves are just charred and starting to soften. Remove from grill.
- To serve, place one or both halves of romaine on a plate. Sprinkle with sliced tomatoes, and a healthy sprinkle of Parmesan. Drizzle with Green Goddess dressing.