Peach Plum Crisp
Peach Plum Crisp doesn’t need ice cream or whipped cream to top it off; it’s so good as is, all you need is a spoon to dig in. And maybe a steamy mug of English Breakfast and your latest book if you can pull it off.
Whenever I put up summer produce, whether it’s by canning or freezing, I put the produce under lock and key only to be consumed when the weather turns for the worse. I don’t let the kids or my husband dig in as I tell them we’re saving it for the depths of winter when we can’t find a descent tomato (or in this case a peach or plum) in sight. But this past week, I broke my own rule. I pulled out some peaches and plums I’d frozen last month and gave into the crisp craving (totally a thing, BTW) that I’d been experiencing all day. What better person to break the rules than the one who makes them?
I didn’t really have any intention of blogging this as I realize we’ve passed the season of peaches and plums. But as I stood at my kitchen stove, shoveling warm crisp into my mouth a few things occurred to me: maybe my readers have a freezer full of peaches and plums just like me. Surely I can’t be the only smart one that preserves summers best, right?!?! And more importantly, this was just too damn good not to share. You did freezer peaches this summer, right?
This crisp is honestly so good that you don’t need ice cream or whipped cream to top it off. I’m not saying you can’t add a little whipped goodness I’m just saying you don’t need it. But I also know that having dessert is a matter of want and not need so do what you like; no judgement here. I will judge you, however, if you didn’t put up any summer produce. Ok, not really but seriously people GET WITH IT!! It’s one of the best parts of summer. Putting up all the goods so you can eat the best of the best all year long. I understand it’s a lot of work but in my world it’s totally worth it.
So if you don’t have a freezer full of peaches and plums, go to the grocery store and buy some. And make this. And eat it warm, standing in front of the stove. And know that NEXT summer you will put the goods up when they’re good. And then you can thank me.
A gluten-free crisp using fresh frozen peaches and plums. It’s the best!
For the filling:
- 1 lb frozen peaches
- 1 lb frozen plums
- 2/3 cup sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal or almond flour
- 1/3 cups coarsely chopped slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a 9 by 9-inch baking dish, mix together the peaches, plums, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl mix together oats, almond meal, chopped almonds, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and melted butter. Stir until crumble is moistened throughout.
- Spread crisp topping over peach/plum mixture. Bake for 50 minutes uncovered until filling is bubbling around edges and the top is slightly golden.
- Remove from oven, cool and dig in!