Simple Spaghetti Squash with Garlic and Parmesan
Simple Spaghetti Squash with Garlic and Parmesan is a healthier riff off one of my favorite college days staples- spaghetti with melted butter, lots of parmesan cheese (not the good stuff), and lots of bottled garlic salt. Consider this a more sophisticated upgrade!
When I was in college I lived off of day old bagels (I worked in a bagel shop), a boxed cranberry-orange muffin mix, and spaghetti with parmesan and garlic salt. Seriously. I ate carbs ALL THE TIME. How did I not weigh a bazillion pounds? I could never eat like this not pay the price. The joys of getting older, am I right? What I wouldn’t give for my 20-year old metabolism!!
While I still love a simple bowl of spaghetti noodles with melted butter and parmesan cheese, I don’t eat it as often as I did in college! And, God help me, I haven’t made or eaten a boxed muffin mix in 20 years. I just can’t bring myself to do it! This Simple Spaghetti Squash with Garlic and Parmesan is my ode to my college days staple but more healthful!! Not to mention totally delicious!
Isn’t it funny how quickly things change? I could literally eat whatever I wanted when I was in college (not to mention how I much I could drink) and it didn’t effect my weight or the way I felt. I could survive on 4 or 5 hours of sleep, work full-time, go to school full-time and I powered through like a rock star. Seriously you guys…..rock star.
Twenty years later and it’s a totally different story up in here. I need ALL the sleep I can get, drinking too much makes me feel like crap for days, and more than day or two of unhealthy eating and I feel it big time. I keep my exercise and in check most of the time because otherwise I’m a bear. Long gone are the days of no sleep and eating whatever I want!
BUT! No sense in mourning the past. I really do feel better than ever. I guess that is the silver lining of getting older- wisdom and maturity are a good thing- right? Plus eating great can still be delicious. This simple spaghetti squash dish is proof. It’s healthful and filling, it makes for great leftovers, and is the perfect base for homemade marinara or would be a great side dish to grilled chicken or baked fish. It reheats beautifully and I don’t like crud after eating a big ‘ol bowl. Take that, college self!!
Hope you all have a wonderful week and thanks for reading! xo, Kelley
photos by Kellie Hatcher/ recipe by Mountain Mama CooksPrint
A simple side dish with roasted spaghetti squash, garlic butter, and parmesan cheese!
- 1 medium sized spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup freshly minced parsley
- 1/2–3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Drizzle cut side with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Place squash, cut side down, on baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes or so until the squash is tender and the edges are just starting to brown.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and olive oil in a small pan over LOW heat. Add the garlic and cook about 10 minutes. You don’t want the garlic to burn so watch closely. Remove from heat and stir in minced parsley.
- When the squash is done, remove from oven and scrape the squash into a large bowl. Add the garlic-butter mixture, the toasted pine nuts and parmesan cheese. Season generously with salt and pepper. Stir to mix well. Serve warm.