Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Tacos
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Tacos are a breeze to make. Shredded chicken, corn, and red bell pepper in a tangy bbq sauce topped with crisp romaine, sharp cheddar and ranch-spiked sour cream. Welcome to Taco Tuesday!
I often joke about running a bed and breakfast during the winter months. The effect of living in a ski town I suppose. It’s not uncommon for us to have multiple guests at a time and we don’t usually go more than a week or two without someone crashing one of our guest rooms. This past week my husband had not one but two sets of friends in town + my in-laws. I’ve been cooking up a storm, fetching clean towels and changing sheets like no ones business. And did I mention he was out of town most of the week? Yeah…
So while the husband was working in NY, I was hosting his friends and parents. But you know what? It was pretty awesome. His friends were gracious houseguests and rippin’ skiers and snowboarders. A pretty awesome combo if you ask me. Mother Nature treated us to a generous snow storm so it was freshies all week and my hubby made it home for the weekend to catch the end of the storm and hang with his buddies. The in-laws are still in town and other than making a full turkey dinner on Sunday, I’ve been off kitchen duty as we’ve been dining out for lunch and dinner. It’s been a much welcome break!
Although I did find the time to make tacos last week before the houseguests arrived, I didn’t get a chance to take photos before everyone arrived. When I went to the fridge to pull out the leftovers and take photos, there was only a little bit left. Apparently a house full of hungry guys means no food is off limits and in all fairness, bbq pulled chicken makes an easy and tasty apres snack. Thank goodness I was able to scrape enough together to make a few tacos. In addition, I sautéed some mushrooms and spinach with a can of black beans to make enough tacos for everyone to have lunch. Crisis averted: Taco Tuesday was not compromised and all bellies remained full and happy.
Lesson learned for next time: make extra food and hide anything in the outside fridge that hasn’t been photographed.Print
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 dashes hot sauce (to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 half breasts)
- 1/2 cup fresh frozen corn
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- corn tortillas
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- romaine lettuce
- sour cream (optional)
- To make the bbq sauce, combine ketchup, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, hot sauce, garlic powder, mustard powder and kosher salt in a small sauce pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- In the base of a slow cooker, place the chicken breasts. Pour bbq sauce over chicken breasts. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, shred chicken (keeping it in the slow cooker) and mix it into the bbq sauce. Stir in corn and red bell pepper. Put lid back on slow cooker and cook for 1 hour longer.
- To serve tacos: preheat oven to 375F degrees. Brush corn tortillas with a touch of olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Place on a baking sheet and heat for 10 minutes. *This is optional but I highly suggest it!
- Place a 1/4 cup of chicken mixture on each tortilla. Top with a small amount of cheddar cheese. Place tacos back in oven and bake for 7-8 minutes until cheese is melted. Top with shredded romaine and sour cream if desired.
- *I mixed an 8 oz container of sour cream with a ranch dressing packet. Feel free to use plain sour cream as well.