Slow Cooker Tomato Soup with Tortellini
I’ve got the easiest (and a tooooootally delicious) recipe for you today: Slow Cooker Tomato Soup with Tortellini.
Because we all need more slow cooker recipes, am I right?
I don’t know if we all NEED more slow cooker recipes but it certainly can’t hurt. I have so many (too many) busy weeknights where having an easy recipe in my arsenal saves me. I use my slow cooker multiple times a week. In fact, it’s the most used countertop kitchen appliance I own.
Me + my slow cooker = best friends forever.
There used to be a small, mom & pop style restaurant in Park City that served the best homemade soups. The owner also used to roast a turkey each morning for fresh turkey sandwiches. My husband and I would frequent often and my standing order was 1/2 turkey sandwich on rye with a cup of tomato soup that always had 2-3 cheese tortellini floating on top. The restaurant has since shut down and I miss it dearly. Seriously, I dream about those turkey sandwiches.
This slow cooker tomato soup with tortellini is my version of that soup. Mine is a little less creamy, takes a short cup by being cooked in the slow cooker and I add fresh basil and freshly grated parmesan at the end. The basil adds a nice bite of natural sweet and freshness and the parmesan adds the perfect salty touch. Plus, parmesan. Need I say more? 🙂
I love that I can start this soup in the afternoon (it doesn’t need that much time to cook) and the prep time is mere minutes. I often serve the soup with toasted garlic bread or grilled cheese sandwiches if I feel like we need something a little heartier. Regardless, some sort of bread is mandatory for dipping and soaking up the last bit of soup. It’s perfect for this time of year- I love a hearty soup on a cold, snowy night!
As always, thank you for reading! Hope you have a great week! xoxo, Kelley
photos by Kelli Hatcher/ recipe by Mountain Mama CooksPrint
An easy vegetarian soup made in the slow cooker. Classic creamy tomato with cheese tortellini!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 28-oz cans whole tomatoes
- 3 cups low-sodium veggie (or chicken) broth
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 oz cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 3-5 minutes just until softened. Add minced garlic and cook 1 minute more. Turn off heat and transfer onion mixture to the base of a slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add crushed tomatoes (with juices), veggie or chicken broth- whatever you’re using, grated carrots, bay leaf, and sugar. Cover and cook soup on low for 3-4 hours.
- Remove bay leaf and discard.
- In batches, add the tomato soup to the blender (or you could use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth. Put soup back into slow cooker.
- Add tortellini, heavy cream, dried spices, and a pinch or two of kosher salt. Cover and cook on low for 20-30 minutes just until the tortellini is cooked through. Taste soup and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and serve soup with plenty of grated parmesan and fresh basil if desired.