Banana Oat Blender Pancakes
originally posted 08/2013 and photos updated 7/2018
These easy and delicious pancakes are gluten free, dairy free and free of refined sugars.
There are a few things I am certain of. Like I when I let my dog out, I know she’s going to come back. She likes to roam the neighborhood. I know that when I’m sick and not feeling well, even at the age of 36, I only want my mom. I know that I feel better about myself when my legs are shaved. I do better on at least 8 hours of sleep. I will never like beets no matter how you prepare them and at the end of the day, my preferred outfit will always be t-shirts and sweats. I am also fairly certain (though not without some serious denial) that I feel better when eat a diet easy on the dairy and wheat. As much as I wish it weren’t the case, my digestive system and sleeping patterns beg to differ.
It’s only been in the last year or so that I’ve taken real stock in the relationship between what I eat and how I feel.The cleaner my diet is the better I feel. Not rocket science, I know, but as someone who loves food (and not just food that is good for me), it can be a tough pill to swallow. I love fluffy white things and a bowl of ice cream just as much as the next person. Unfortunately, if I eat too much of it, I’m left feeling the effects. So what do I do? Well, truthfully, not much. I do my best to keep to limit the bad stuff but I don’t beat myself up when I do decide to indulge. Sometimes cookies are just downright worth it, you know?
Breakfast might be the place I struggle the most when it comes to eating something that not only tastes good but it is nutritiously a great start to my day. I can only eat so many eggs and smoothies before I want something more, you know? Like pancakes and waffles…..am I right? Enter two of my favorite things to eat any time of the day but both leave a gut bomb and sleeping pill effect if I eat too much. I wanted to create a pancake that would fit the bill when I wanted something ‘more’ but would also leave me energized to tackle a busy day.
Enter these Banana Oat Blender Pancakes. I never new gluten free pancakes could be so hearty and fluffy! Exceding my expectations when I made them, these are my new go to pancake. If not just for their ease (you make them in the blender) they’re chocked full of goodness- oats, banana, honey and almond milk.
I used gluten free oats but if you’re not concerned, any oats will work just fine. I use an unsweetened vanilla almond milk in these but really you can use whatever milk you have on hand. Enjoy!
- 2 cups gluten free oats
- 1 1/4 cups vanilla almond milk
- 1 large ripe, organic banana
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 heaping tablespoon local honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large organic egg
- coconut oil or butter for cooking
- Place all ingredients, except egg and coconut oil in the base of a blender and blend until smooth. Add egg and pulse a few times until egg is fully incorporated.
- Heat a griddle or large saute pan over medium heat and melt a teaspoon or two of coconut oil. When hot, pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides (about 2-3 minutes per side) and serve hot with maple syrup.
- *If batter becomes too thick to pour easily, add a tablespoon or two of almond milk to thin.