Ham, Apple & Swiss Quesadilla
I’ve been in a bit of a funk the past few weeks. I’ll have to ask you to forgive me once again as this seems to happen every year about this time. Between cooking for clients and taking care of my family, I haven’t had much time for myself. What little free time I seem to find, it’s usually spent snowboarding or in bed catching up on the likes of Parenthood and Top Chef. Maybe it’s the incredibly short days or the fact that it’s been down right frigid here the past few weeks, I have just wanted to hibernate under my covers.
In addition, I’ve been so uninspired in the kitchen. Relying heavily on stuff I can throw together with my eyes closed. I haven’t wanted to cook much. So unlike me. Instead of beating myself up about it, I’m just sort of going with it. One of the beauties of blogging is that I’m my own boss. And, I don’t want to put out half-assed recipes just for the sake of doing so, you know? So if the recipes come a little sporadic over the next little bit, hang in there. Before you know it, the funk will be gone and I’ll be back to my old self slaving away in the kitchen.
With that being said, this is one of those recipes I can throw together with my eyes closed. Maybe even with one hand tied behind my back. Ok, maybe not. I’ve made a million variations over the years but I always come back to the ham, swiss and apple combo. All ingredients I usually have on hand, I can throw this together for any meal of the day. A handful of fresh spinach and a quick honey-mustard spread round out the simple list of ingredients. You could use any kind of wrap you like- I opt for a whole grain tortilla and, of course, choose whatever cheese suits your fancy. I used some shredded Jarlsberg as it’s my favorite but any mild swiss will do.
I’d be embarrassed to tell you how many times we’ve had this in the last four days so I won’t. Instead, let us focus on the fact that it was worthy of making multiple days in a row and that I very well might be owner to the sweetest girl around.Print
Ham, Apple & Swiss Quesadilla
A quick meal that is good for any meal of the day. Made with pantry ingredients, this a go to of mine!
- 1 heaping tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 3 whole grain tortillas or similar
- 6 oz shaved deli ham
- 3 oz shredded swiss cheese
- 1 apple, sliced thinly (core discarded)
- fresh spinach
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, dijon mustard and honey; mix to combine.
- Spread each of the tortillas with 1/3 of the honey-mustard spread.
- Divide the ham evenly over the three tortillas. Sprinkle each tortilla equally with the shredded swiss. On half of the tortilla, make a layer of sliced apple.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Spray lightly with cooking spray or alternately melt a teaspoon of butter in the pan. In batches, Cook each quesadilla just until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is lightly browned. Place a small handful of spinach on top of the apples and fold the tortilla in half, making a half moon shaped quesadilla. Repeat with the other two tortillas.
- Cut into quarters and serve.
So good! Thank you 🙂
I know what a busy time of year this is for you and I’m amazed that you are able to put even one thing on the table for your family. But if I was in your family, I’d be pretty darn happy with these quesadillas…even 4 days in a row. 🙂
Thanks, Dara! Miss you!!
I tend to get in a little funk this time of year also. I hate it when it’s dark when I get home from work.
This looks like a nice pick me up…
These short days do a number on me too. Thanks for the comment!
i’ll have to give this a try! Miss you friend! xoxooxox
You too! Big hugs!!!
I just found you, minutes ago, and I can’t believe my luck! I haven’t really had anything “ham and Swiss” (outside of eggs) since going gluten-free and this reminds me that all that will change TOMORROW! I’ve recently gotten very (too?!?) comfortable with a g-free wrap recipe and, if rolled a little less, I think I can use them and replicate your little recipe here quite nicely! I might even have one for breakfast!!! If you hear squealing from northern Indiana, just ignore it!!! (THANK YOU!!!)
This was really good! I didn’t use the apples or spinach but I will next time I have them on hand. I used up some of my leftover Easter ham and it was a big hit 🙂