Rice and Beans Meal Prep
A delicious and healthy make ahead recipe, this Rice and Beans Meal Prep is a yummy way to incorporate more vegetarian meals into your diet while having lunch (or a light) dinner ready at your fingertips!
DO YOU MEAL PREP?
I’m not great at consistent meal prep though I wish I was better because every time I do actually take the time to prep, I’m always happy that I did. I’m a bit fickle about leftovers so meal prep can be tricky for me. I prefer to prep foods that are more grab-and-go and I tend to do more vegetarian meal prep because I’m not a huge fan of meat that has been reheated.
The one exception? This chicken meatloaf.
HOW FAR AHEAD CAN THESE BE PREPPED?
I like to prep these rice and beans on a Sunday or Monday and then portion them to eat for lunch during the week. They hold up in the fridge for 4-5 days. I don’t like to add the avocado until just before I eat so it doesn’t go brown. Everything else can be added when you’re assembling the dish.
MY FAVORITE INGREDIENTS TO USE IN THIS DISH
You can find the recipe for my favorite 20 Minute Cuban Beans on the blog and then I make a simple cilantro rice. You can add whatever toppings you like but my favorite is the Corn and Chile Tomato-less Salsa from Trader Joes, diced tomato, fresh cilantro, and some fresh avocado. You could certainly add some shredded cheese or pre-cooked chicken if you’re looking to get more protein.
HOW TO MAKE MEAL PREP FOR YOU
I wish I was more help here or that I was stellar example but like I said above, I’m on and off with the meal prep. I have realized that I’m the most successful when I’m prepping meals that a) don’t take a ton of time b) can be eaten at room temp or are vegetarian and c) can hold up for more than 3 or 4 days. I always keep my meal prep SUPER simple and make familiar-to-me recipes that I know I already like- that way food doesn’t go wasted!
LOOKING FOR MORE MEAL PREP RECIPES?
photos by Kellie Hatcher/recipe by Mountain Mama CooksPrint
A great, vegetarian meal prep recipe using mostly pantry ingredients!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white
- 2 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one lime
- 1/2 cup lightly packed chopped cilantro
For the Bowls:
- 1 recipe 20 Minute Cuban Black Beans
- 1–2 avocados
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 jar your favorite sals- I love corn salsa from Trader Joes
- shredded cheese, optional
- To make the rice, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan on medium high heat. Add the rice and stir to coat with the olive oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice just starts to smelly toasty.
- Add water, salt, and lime zest to the rice. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to low, cover, and so the rice cooks on a low simmer.
- Cook undisturbed for 15 minutes (check your rice package instructions), then remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork and gently stir in the cilantro; let cool.
- Divide the cooled rice between 6-8 glass containers. Divide the beans evenly between the containers. Add salsa, shredded cheese (if using), salsa, and chopped tomatoes. Add a pinch of cilantro to each dish along with a lime wedge.
- Store rice and beans meal prep bowls in the fridge for up to 1 week.