Savory Farro Breakfast Bowl
This Savory Farro Breakfast Bowl is legit the bomb. It easily doubles as breakfast or a quick dinner. Most of it can be prepped ahead and it’s great for anyone trying to stay away from gluten or dairy.
SWEET OR SAVORY FOR BREAKFAST?
Please don’t make me pick. I love sweet and savory for breakfast equally! Avocado toast or a fried egg and toast is my breakfast go to. But so is oatmeal! And, I like my oats with any kind of stewed berries and drizzled with honey and cream. So yeah, please don’t make me pick! That’s why I love going out for breakfast so much. I can almost always talk my husband into sharing a few things with me and those things are almost always one savory and one sweet!
Like a boss.
USING FARRO FOR BREAKFAST
I don’t use farro nearly enough. We eat our fair share of oatmeal and rice and occasionally quinoa but for whatever reason, farro hasn’t been on my radar. I have been trying to use up what I have in my pantry and randomly found a bag of farro. I prepared it according to the back of the package with the thought I’d use it as a side dish for dinner one night but on a whim the next morning nuked in the microwave and added some of the previous nights veggies + a fried egg. The result? So. Damn. Good.
PUT AN EGG ON IT
I like to joke that you can put an egg on anything and just like that it becomes breakfast. It totally works, btw. That’s exactly how this Farro Breakfast Bowl was born! You could totally add a fried egg here- it’s so much easier- but I love, love, LOVE a soft boiled egg. I overcooked the ones in this photo by about a minute but….whatever. They were still delicious. Use the best quality eggs you can get. Pastured eggs or fresh ones are so much better than conventional grocery store ones. Just saying.
HOW TO MAKE A SAVORY BREAKFAST BOWL
You could easily swap out the farro for oats. Add whatever fresh or roasted veggies your heart desires, a scoop of sauerkraut, cheese, a dollop of Greek yogurt, leftover meat….the possibilities are endless. Just make sure you add an egg. That is ALWAYS the best part!
At least for me it is! 🙂
OTHER SAVORY BREAKFAST RECIPES
Sausage Crescent Roll Breakfast Casserole
Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Waffles
Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Tacos
recipe by Mountain Mama Cooks/ photos by Kellie HatcherPrint
Savory Farro Breakfast Bowl
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
A savory breakfast bowl with farro, eggs and roasted veggies!
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 pint tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 4 eggs
- 2 avocados
- hemp seeds, salt, lemon juice, olive oil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Toss tomatoes and asparagus with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes until veggies are tender. Remove from oven.
- Fill a medium size saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Carefully, using a spoon, lower the eggs into the pan and boil for 5-7 minutes. Timing depends on how many eggs you use and how well done you like your eggs. This is the sweet spot for me!
- Immediately remove eggs from pan and run under cold water. Allow to sit a few minutes and then carefully peel- the eggs will still be hot!
- Arrange bowl by adding 1/2 cup farro (warmed up or room temperature), 1/2 avocado (sliced), a handful of cherry tomatoes, a handful of asparagus, and one egg. Garnish with hemp seeds, kosher salt, ground pepper, and squeeze of lemon and drizzle of olive oil if you like. Serve immediately.
This looks so delicious and nutritious. I have recently really gotten into farro. I had never of it before a trip to Italy a few years ago and it is so good for you! I am pinning this breakfast bowl to try soon!
I eat farro for breakfast often, but I haven’t tried a savory version. This looks delicious!